Qualifying for Membership
Persons, eighteen years and over, who are descendants of pioneers who resided in Alberta, south of Township 40 (which is just north of Red Deer), prior to December 31, 1890 may apply for membership.
Applying for Membership
- Print, complete and mail the Active Membership Form with supporting documents and the membership fee to:
Southern Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendants
3625 4th Street S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2S IY3
- Supply your proof of descendancy using our Family History Form .
- Spouses of Active Members are welcome to become Associate Members and participate in SAPD activities by completing the Associate Membership Form and including the fee indicated on the form.
For further information, contact the Membership Secretary.
Reseaching your Pioneer Ancestor
While there are many resources for researching family history here are a few that will assist you in completing your application:
- The 1891 Census of Canada (using Northwest Territories as the Province and Alberta as the District Name under Advanced Search Options when searching will narrow the results to Southern Alberta)
- Pioneer Families of Southern Alberta (print copies can be found at the Glenbow Museum Library and the Calgary Public Central Library)
- The fonds and newspaper clippings of the Glenbow Archives and the Local History room on the fourth floor of the Calgary Public Central Library.
- Newsletter published January, May and September
- Participation in Annual Events and other Society functions
- Use of Archives and Library (by appointment)
- Subject to availability, a member's funeral may be held at the Memorial Building for the $75 cost for cleaning. Catering, dish/linen rentals are the responsiblity of the member's executor/organizer
- Participate as Board Members in Society and Foundation and as Committee Members
- Submit your Pioneer's family history
- Have an extract of your Pioneer's family history included in the next edition of Family Histories of Southern Alberta
- Donate photos and other artifacts of historical significance (as determined by our Historical Committee) to the Archives
- Meet and make friends with kindred spirits. You will often meet descendants whose ancestors were friends of your ancestors
- Members receive a 10% discount from the rental fees for family functions that the member will be in attendance
- List your Pioneers name and date of Arrival on the Centennial Gate
- Have the Portrait of your Pioneer included in the Society's photo register
- At every annual meeting, the board of directors honours two members, a woman and a man, who have made substantial contribution to the Society and/or the SAPD. The persons so honoured are entitled the Pioneer Lady and Pioneer Gentleman and remain as such for the next year.