Pioneer Profiles : C
James C. Cahoon came from Utah to settle in the Cardston district in 1885. His wife was Ellen S. Wilson, and they had one son, James C. Jr.
Donald M. Calder was born in Ingersoll, Ontario in 1870 and died at Calgary in 1941. He was married at Calgary, Alberta on 22 May 1893 to Aurelia Harriet Scott, who was born 6 February 1869 at Quebec City and died at Calgary on 17 March 1954. They had five children. Donald M. Calder was in the Banff Area in 1889.
Mr. Callahan came to Lethbridge, in 1885, with the first Steam Locomotive, that came to western Canada. Mrs. Callahan, (nee Mary Burke) arrived in 1887. Jack Callahan suffered a stroke during his employment as a fireman with the C.P.R. He and his wife, Mary, operated a little store in Lethbridge for some time. There were three children in the family: Joe, Frank and Mayme.
Researched by Dora Armstrong, June 1992.
Emmanuel Callaway came to the Springbank area near Calgary in 1890.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Joseph P. Callaway was born in 1822 at Northamptonshire, England and died at Cochrane in 1904. He married and had a family of six boys and five girls. Joseph emigrated to Goderich, Ontario in 1843. Then in 1856 he traveled by ox-cart to Winnipeg, Manitoba. In 1886 he pushed on to Brushy Ridge and homesteaded there, where he resided in a log cabin until his death.
William H. Callender had one son, Henry George, who was born in 1895 at Calgary. William was at Canmore, in 1890. His home was the location for the first telephone office in 1907.
Archibald Cameron was born in 1863 at Kirkfield, Ontario. He was married at Edmonton in 1897 to Malvina Brunell. They raised five children. Mr. Cameron came west in 1886, working with the C.P.R. He worked on the Calgary-Edmonton line as well as the Calgary-Macleod line. He was also in the Rogers Pass with the railroad.
Arthur Leslie Cameron was born 6 May 1856 at Springfield, Ontario and died 22 January 1940 at Victoria, B.C. He was married in 1882 at Brandon, Manitoba to Elizabeth Parrish, who was born in 1860 at Brock, Ontario. They had four children. In 1886 they came to Medicine Hat, where he operated a grain and produce business. He retired in 1906. In Calgary, he built the Cameron Block and was Alderman for two terms and Mayor of Calgary in 1898, 1907 and 1908.
Dan Cameron came west in 1886 and worked as a framer and supervised building ranch homes. His name was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge prior to December 31, 1890. Following the death of his partner he sold out and cooked for a time at the Klondyke Hotel in Fort Macleod. He later moved to Creston B.C. and cooked in lumber camps. He died there in 1915.
Merged 2004 Addendum records. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 466.
Duncan Cameron was born at Quebec City and died at High River in 1925. He came west as a bookkeeper for the Bar U Ranch and also worked as mail clerk on the C.P.R. trains. In 1893 he bought some cattle and ran them with John Thorp's herd. After his death, his ranch on the middle fork of the Highwood River was sold to Thorp and Cartwright.
John Cameron was born 16 May 1874 at Kirkfield, Ontario. He came west in 1887, working with the C.P.R. building bridges on several of the lines. He was also a prospector and miner in B.C.
Kenneth Cameron was born at Inverness-shire, Scotland and died at Sheep Creek in 1891. He married Elizabeth Carstairs, who died in 1897. There were five girls and two boys in the family. He came to Paisley, Ontario where his children were born. In 1877 he moved to Manitoba, then in 1880 he moved west with wagons and oxen to Sheep Creek, then after the survey he obtained land. His family came west when the train came to Calgary.
Inspector Ernest J. Camies was born 6 February 1867 at Winchester, England and died 18 January 1935 at Hampshire, England. He was married in England in 1888, to Elizabeth Preston, who was born in England and died at Fort Macleod in May of 1939. There were two girls and three boys in the family. Ernest joined the NWMP in 1885 and served in the Riel Rebellion as well as the South African War. His health failed him after spending two years on the Peace River-Yukon trail. He retired in 1910.
Colin Campbell was born in Scotland in 1844 and died at Fort Macleod in 1906. He was married at Toronto, Ontario to Agnes Roche, who was born at Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia in 1846 and died in 1935 at Midnapore, Alberta. They had no family. Colin Campbell was appointed Clerk of the Supreme Court of the N.W.T. and held this position until he died. He came to Fort Macleod in 1887.
Duncan Campbell was born 16 July 1855 at St. Hilaire, Quebec and died at Fort Macleod 18 May 1920. He was married in August, 1894 at Halifax to Eleanor McCubbin Wood, who was born at Halifax, N.S. 29 December 1867 and died 26 January 1953 at Ottawa, Ontario. They had a family of three boys and one girl. Duncan Campbell worked from 1873 to 1882 with the Bank of Montreal then came to Fort Macleod in the same year, worked with Indian Supplies, as Postmaster and later sheriff of a large judicial district. He contributed much to military affairs, lodges, civic and social life of the district.
Mr. Campbell came to Calgary the summer of 1883. He was a builder contractor who constructed a number of buildings in the town. He was appointed was assessor for the first town council of Calgary in 1884. His name was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge prior to December 31, 1890.
Merged with 2004 Addendum.
Mr. P. D. Campbell was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.
W. Bell Campbell was married to Alice Summerland and had one son. W. Bell Campbell was a physician and surgeon in Calgary in 1889.
William Campbell was born in August 1874 at Kilmarn and died 21 October 1935 at Buffalo, Alberta. He was married to Mary Wyndham, who was born 11 June 1878 at Toronto, Ontario and died 21 July 1957. There were two boys and two girls in the family. William Campbell was at Olds in 1890.
Albert Cannon was born 13 August 1871 at Ipswitch, England and died 10 June 1932 at Millarville. He was married 13 August 1913 at Calgary to Miriam How Gladstone, who was born 10 June 1879 at Romford, England and died 19 June 1959. They had two boys and one girl. Albert Cannon arrived in Calgary in 1889 and worked on several ranches before filing his own homestead on 10-21-2-W5th in 1900.
Charles Card was born 5 November 1839 in New York, U.S.A. and died 9 September 1906 at Logan, Utah. He was married 17 June 1884 at Logan, Utah to Zina Young. They had three children. Charles Card was a farmer and in 1889 was chosen to search out land in Canada for a settlement. The land he chose later became Cardston, Alberta. He was president of the Alberta Stake of the Mormon Church. Charles Card was first Mayor of Cardston. He operated a general store as well as founding a flour mill and cheese factory.
John Cardell was born in Scotland in 1843. He married Maria Cronshaw in 1870 at Montreal, Quebec. They had three sons and one daughter. John was a Locomotive Engineer with the C.P.R. In 1898 he was transferred to Calgary as master mechanic, retiring in 1908. He was at Canmore, in 1885.
Alexis Cardinal, a veteran guide and companion to Father Lacombe, built a house on the Elbow River, 25 miles west of the junction with the Bow. The Mission, Our Lady of Peace, was the first Catholic Church south of the Red Deer River.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Albertan, July 10, 1950.
Augustus Carney homesteaded on the cemetery site adjoining the Mission in Calgary. He was president of the Agricultural Society, which was formed in 1884. He was a candidate in the 1885 election, but was defeated. He was in Calgary in 1884.
Lemsley Carr was born near Geary, New Brunswick in 1854 and died near Seebe, Alberta in 1888. He married Frances Maria Foss in New Brunswick, with two children, Sadie and Charles, born to them. The family arrived in Calgary, 6 June 1886. Lemsley Carr was one of the employees who had come with a trainload of supplies and sawmill machinery, by C.P.R. to establish the Eau Claire and Bow River Lumber Company. He and five other men were drowned in the Kananaskis River one and a quarter miles below the present Horseshoe Power Dam near Seebe, Alberta. The Eau Claire Lumber had a logging camp on the river.
Submitted by Rosemary Brown, H.D. McCormick and L.E. Neil Carr.
Napoleon Carrier was born in 1862 at St. Boniface, Manitoba and died at Fort Macleod in 1937. His wife, Charlotte, was born in 1866 at High Bluff, Manitoba and died at Fort Macleod in 1935. They had one daughter. Napoleon Carrier was a stage coach and livery driver. He later had his own stables and livery operation. He came to Fort Macleod in 1886.
A.J. Carroll came from Ontario and ranched at the mouth of the Highwood River. He came to Sheep Creek in 1877. A bachelor, he died at the ranch in 1910.
Henry Carroll came from Ontario early 1880s and homesteaded the SE of 1/4 of Sec.30-20-28-W4M in the DeWinton area in 1883 (1886 Land Grant). After several years he homesteaded the NW 1/4 of Sec.28-20-28-W4M before 1890 (1892 Land Grant). He died after a heart attack leaving his property to be shared by his neighbors.
Merged two 2004 Addendum records. Ref: Gladys-Dinton through the years. Sodbusting to Subdivision. Additional research by JFR.
James Carroll was born in Wales in 1857. He married Martha McGuire, who was born in 1859 in Ireland. They were married in 1885 at the Geddes ranch, west of Calgary.
Mr. Wm. Carroll was a tailor in Calgary in 1888.
Additional research by JFR. Ref: The new West..., p. vii & 135
William Carroll was born in County Wicklow, Ireland and died at Calgary in 1897. His wife was Kathleen Dempsey, who was born in County Carlow, Ireland and died at Calgary in 1904. There were three girls and two boys in the family. William Carroll was employed as a switchman with the C.P.R. and was in Calgary in 1883.
William Carruthers was a rancher at Pincher Creek, arriving there in 1888. He had registered brands for his horses and cattle.
Andrew Carson was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.
Edward Carswell arrived in Calgary, in 1889 and worked with Eau Claire Lumber and Cushing factory. He was born in 1859 at Oshawa, Ontario and died in 1919 at Calgary. He was married to Debra Woodward, who was born near London, Ontario in 1865. They had a family of nine children, five daughters and four sons. Edwin travelled by rail through the United States to San Francisco by boat and train to Victoria, B.C. He worked at different tasks along the way to Nicola Lake, B.C. In 1890 he went with George Fleming, the Logan boys and David Parker to the Horn Hill district to homestead the S1/2 of Section 34. He was active in the district and assisted in the move of the original Red Deer school from its location on the bank of the Red Deer River to Horn Hill. He was secretary and general manager of the Red Deer creamery. Also responsible for the building of St. George Anglican Church at Penhold, Alberta.
John Carswell was born in 1856 at Oshawa, Ontario. He was married to Augusta Lemon, at Lundy's Lane, Ontario in 1883. There were five children in their family. John was a newspaper man for the Colburn Express and Ottawa Vindicator before he homesteaded in the Red Deer district in 1890. He published the Red Deer News in 1906 and was mayor of Red Deer in 1915 and 1916.
James Carswell, a bachelor, was born in 1864 in Oshawa, Ontario. He was the first secretary treasurer of the Horn Hill school district. He farmed in the area until 1920. James Carswell came west in 1890 to visit his brother, Edwin Carswell. He died at Gleichen, Alberta in 1945 and is buried in the Horn Hill cemetery.
David Carter was born in 1862 at Granton, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1906. He married Martha Shortt, who was born in 1863 at Walkerton, Ontario and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1943. They were married at Fish Creek, in 1892. They had three children. David Carter was a farmer in the Calgary area in 1880 and was awarded the N.W. Rebellion Medal in 1885.
Mr. S. Carter freighted between Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, in 1884.
William Carter was born at Peterborough, Ontario in 1854. His first marriage in 1904 produced four sons and his second marriage to Christine Anderson added another son. In 1890, Jesse was a contractor, building station houses and other structures.
Inspector Henry Casey was born at Colborne, Ontario in 1848 and died at Butte, Montana in 1905. He married Caroline Strong of Colborne, Ontario in 1875. She died in 1924 at Fort Macleod, Alberta. They had three daughters. Henry Casey was associated with the Canadian Militia from 1862 to 1886 and then was appointed Inspector of the NWMP. He had many appointments which included Lethbridge in 1889.
James Caslake was born in London, Ontario in 1862 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1935. He married Edith A.C. Shore of Stratford, Ontario in 1897. She was born at Stratford in 1872 and died at Calgary in 1954. They had a son and a daughter in their family. James Caslake came to Gleichen in 1882 as a wiper and graduated to an engineer with the C.P.R. in 1887.
William Cassels was born in 1863 at Yorkshire, England and died at Red Deer, Alberta in 1940. He was married in Wales in 1889 but had no family. He took up a homestead at Springvale and farmed. Mrs. Cassels was a Naturalist of some note, who died at Red Deer in 1939. William and Mrs. Cassels were in Red Deer in 1889.
Mr. W. Dan Cavan was married and had a son, Henry N. Cavan, who was born at Dunmore Junction, Cypress Hills in 1887. He had come to Dunmore Junction in 1884 and ranched and farmed in the area. He had registered horse and cattle brands. He was noted for his prowess as a scrapper which he learned during his service in the military in Kabul and Kanahar, India.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country p. 70.
John Cavanah (sometimes spelled Cavanagh) was born at Portland, Oregon in 1857 (although his marriage record suggests he was born at Newboro, Leeds, Ontario). In 1880, he married at Blenheim, Peterborough, Ontario to Sarah Evaline Green, born about 1858, Leeds, Ontario. In 1882, John and Sarah came to Medicine Hat with their infant son, William Henry. On their arrival their first home was a tent on the banks of the river which also served as a store. Sarah was active in the Anglican Church. In 1885, he opened a store in Lethbridge near the Lethbridge Hotel and built a home. In Lethbridge, Mr. Cavanah was active in the Masonic Lodge and the Anglican Church. He was one of the first JPs in the west and sat on the Lethbridge Council in 1891. They had seven children (William Henry, Mona Morris Dott, Viola Beatrice, Retta Eileen, Ormond Osborne V., John Lorenzo Roberts and Annetta Evaline). John died at Medicine Hat in 1904 and Sarah died in 1933 at Peterborough, Ontario.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Lethbridge 1891 : A settlement becomes a town. Additional research by JFR.
Edmund Cave married Blanche E. Chamberlain. They had one daughter, Blanche Harriet, born in Calgary, in 1889. Edmund was a barrister, practicing in Calgary before 1890.
Mr. Hugh Cayley was born at Toronto, Ontario in 1858 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1934. He married Nora Cochrane in 1897. They had a son and a daughter. Hugh was a barrister and published the Calgary Herald in 1884. He also represented Calgary on the NWT council 1886 to 1891. He was moved to the County Court, Vancouver, B.C. where he remained.
Archie Chadwick died at Calgary in 1947. He was an employee of P. Burns Company, then cattle foremen for Maunsell Brothers. He had come to Black Diamond, in 1882.
Mr. Chaffery was at Coal Creek, in 1885. From 1886 to 1887, he was a partner with Mr. Merrill in a coal mine located at Sec.13-26-5-W5M, known as the Bow River Coal Mine.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 15.
In 1883, Thomas Chalmers, with William Short, obtained a cattle lease in the High River area. He worked for various cattle ranches, then when O.H. Smith moved north to the Buffalo lakes area in the late 1890's, Thomas Chalmers went with him.
A rancher at Pine Creek. His cattle brand was "F" on left side, and was registered in 1888.
Mr. J.J. Chamberlain died at Calgary, Alberta on 19 November 1934. He was at Calgary, in 1890.
Ernest Chambers was born at Staffordshire, England in 1862 and died at Ottawa, Ontario in 1925. He married Bertha MacMillan in 1898. He was a correspondent for the Montreal Star during the Rebellion of 1885 and also Managing director of the Calgary Herald in 1888-89. From 1904 until his death he was the Gentlemen Usher of the Black Rod, in the House of Commons, Ottawa. He edited Canadian Parliamentary Guide and authored The Book of Montreal 1903.
Mr. Robert Chambers was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1887.
William Champ was born in June 1868 in England. He was married 19 January 1889 and had a son. He farmed in the Poplar Grove area in 1890.
Mr. and Mrs. Champness arrived in Lethbridge, in 1885. They had met in Australia, during the Gold Rush, at Ballarat. Fred was born in 1837 and died in 1903. Mrs. Champness was born in 1840 and died January 27th, 1923. Fred was appointed the first collector of Customs, in Lethbridge. He was a prominent Mason and at his funeral, Captain Dean, of the NWMP and members of the North Star Lodge, conducted full Masonic Honors.
Researched by Dora Armstrong, June 1992.
Billie Channell married Julia Wyndham. He was the son of the Lord Chief Justice of England. He lived on Dombard place, near the mouth of the Highwood and operated a sawmill at Ings Creek and Middle fork during the early 1900's. Then he moved into Calgary. Billie Channell was at the Highwood area in the 1880's.
Walter Charley came to Calgary in 1890 with John A. Simpson and a herd of cattle. Others on the drive were Robert Murray, J. Langford and the Copley brothers. He married Mary Simpson and settled at Olds, Alberta.
James Child married Laura Nourse Moore. They had one child, Cyril George. James Child was an architect with the firm of McVittie, Child and Wilson in Calgary in 1888.
The Chipman brothers, from Halifax, Nova Scotia, established one of the first horse ranches in the Calgary District, known as the Halifax Ranch, in 1884. They also established a hardware line operating initially from their location on the east bank of the river until 1885 when they relocated to McTavish St.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary Herald, July 13, 1943, and Calgary, Her Industries & Resources
Harry was in Calgary, in the 1880's.
Andrew Christie born in Eastern Canada, came west to The Crowsnest Pass in 1882. He opened a coal mine that was the most noted one in the area located on a ridge upstream of Pincher Creek known as The Christie Mine Ridge. He later became a Councillor in 1906.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass.
James brother of Andrew Christie brought in horses to Alberta in 1881 and was a member of the Stewart Ranching Company in 1882. James Christie came to Ford Macleod in 1888 where he registered a horse brand. He was a member of the Alberta Field Force.
James brother of Andrew Christie brought in horses to Alberta in 1881 and was a member of the Stewart Ranching Company in 1882.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass.
R.T. Christie and M.W. Smith ranched in partnership, their range was Lime Kiln Bottom and the Old Man River. Their cattle and horse brands were registered in 1888. Mr. Christie was at Fort Macleod in 1888.
Thomas was born in 1856 at Melbourne, Quebec and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1940. He was married in Calgary in 1889 to Mabel E. Gouin, who was born in 1872 in Quebec and died at Diamond City, Alberta in 1914. Mabel came to Calgary with her parents in 1882. They had four boys and one girl in their family. Thomas Christie described himself as a Financial Agent. He came to Regina in 1882.
Adaljon Christvinson was born in Iceland in 1884 and came to Markerville district with his widowed mother in 1889. He helped build the Church in 1907 as well as other buildings in the area. He died in 1964.
2004 Addendum. Ref: History of Craig etc..
Herbert Church was born in 1868 at London, England and died in 1933 at Big Creek, B.C. He was married in 1894 at Calgary to Gertude A.T. Nixon, who was born in England in 1871 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1949. They had a family of five girls and two boys. Herbert Church came to Calgary with his brother, Richard in 1887. They first worked on ranches and then raised horses. When Richard and brother, Teddy, were drowned on the way to the Klondike in 1898, Herbert Church gave up ranching to go to Comox, B.C. and later homesteaded at Big Creek. Herbert and his father published books about the early life in the N.W.T.
Richard Church was born in 1870 at London, England and died in 1898 at Athabasca River. He never married. He ranched with his brother, Herbert in the Sheep Creek area in 1887. He drowned with his brother, Terry, enroute to the Klondike gold rush.
William Church was born in 1863 at Ottawa, Ontario and died in 1961 at Calgary. He married Annie Emma Woods, who was born in 1865 at Wakefield, Quebec and died at Calgary in 1936. There were two girls and five boys in the family. William Church worked in the building trade as a carpenter. He built homes in Calgary and Gleichen. He homesteaded at Balzac after coming to Calgary in 1890. He took an active part in school, church and civic affairs.
Mr. W.T. Church was at Balzac, in 1890.
Clifford Clark was born in 1864 at Malden, Essex, England and died in 1934 at Fort Macleod. He was unmarried. He was employed by the Department of Indian Affairs, as a stockman on both the Blood and Peigan Reserves until his retirement in 1922. Clifford came west to Fort Macleod in 1882 in a covered wagon he had purchased at Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Mr. D.R. Clark was a plasterer at Calgary in 1885.
David Clark was stationed at Calgary with the NWMP in 1886. In the same year, he married Julia Moore, who was born in Ontario in 1866 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1934. Julia was the daughter of Timothy Moore, of High River.
Born Argyleshire, Scotland Duncan Clark came with parents, two brothers and three sisters in 1881 to Lachute, Quebec. He came west in 1883 to Siding 14- Crowfoot. Duncan Clark homesteaded SW 1/4 2-23-20-W4th. He raised Clydesdales, importing purebred breeding stock from Scotland, and made their horses famous throughout the west. In 1924 he worked for the Department of Indian Affairs as a farm instructor at Cluny, Alberta. His father, John, and two sons also came west when Duncan Clark did.
Mr. E. Clark came to Fort Macleod with the NWMP in 1874. He was an adjutant for them and attended the signing of Treaty No.7.
Jack Clark delivered the first mail between Medicine Hat and Dunmore.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Medicine Hat Country.
John Jr. Clark is listed to have been a homesteader in the Gleichen area in 1886.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Gleichen Call.
John Clark was born in 1830 at Argyleshire, Scotland. He came to Lachute, Quebec in 1881. In 1883 he settled at Crowfoot Creek (near Gleichen). He married Katherine Kelly, who was born in Scotland in 1827 and died at Crowfoot Creek in 1905. They had six children. John was a rancher and raised horses, being noted for his Clydesdales, sired by purebred breeding stock imported from Scotland. He died at Crowfoot Creek, 1 October 1905.
Mr. Peter Clark arrived in Calgary in 1889.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, re: Mary I. Bealing.
Miss Clark came to Pincher Creek in 1883 to live with her sister Mrs. Lachlan Bell. She contributed much to community life in those early days. She married Richard Duthie in 1885 and they had four children. Retired in Pincher creek and lived until the 1940's.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass.
Donald Clarke was recorded as a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885.
Hannibal Clarke resided in Okotoks in 1881-82. He fought in the Riel Rebellion then went to the Klondike.
James Clarke was born in 1856 at Orangeville, Ontario. He came to Calgary in 1884 representing Singer Sewing Machines. He married Eleanor Evans Ward in 1885 at Pembina, North Dakota. They had five children. John subsequently owned a musical instrument shop.
Simon Clarke was born 22 December 1852 at Huntington, Quebec. He joined the NWMP 19 July 1876, coming west with the second expedition. He was stationed at Fort Walsh and Wood Mountain until moving to Fort Macleod in 1879 and to Fort Calgary in 1881. Simon Clarke received his discharge from the NWMP in 1882. He married Jean Bowie Findlay, August 12, 1885. They had four children. Simon Clarke was a member of the first Calgary Town council in 1884, Chairman of the Police and Relief Committee, an Alderman in 1905, 1906, and 1907, then City Commissioner 1909-1913. He died 1 June 1918 at Rochester, Minn. U.S.A.
Thomas Clarke was born in 1863 at Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He joined the NWMP in 1882 and was stationed at Calgary under Major Sam Steele. He was later transferred to Fort Qu'Appelle, Shoal Lake, Regina, Maple Creek, Fort Macleod and St. Marys (near Cardston). He was discharged in 1887. In 1888 he married Lucretia Jane Plumber, who was born in England in 1873 and died at Lethbridge in 1928. They had seven children. Thomas Clarke ranched in the Macleod area. When he was stationed in Calgary, he helped to print the first editions of the Calgary Herald in a tent and after his discharge from the NWMP was the editor of the Macleod Advance. He died in 1954 at Camrose, Alberta.
Robert Clarkson was born in 1858. He came to Canada from England, joined the NWMP and became a pioneer rancher in Pincher Creek in 1887. Robert Clarkson married Marie (Nellie) Humphry, who was born in County Down, Ireland in 1850 and came west in 1890. Robert Clarkson was a noted horseman and played polo. Nellie Humphrey was also an excellent horsewomen. She had two children by a previous marriage and one by Robert.
Joseph Clavel was born in Finch, Ontario in 1865. As a youth he went to Montana and worked on ranches breaking horses. He came to the Beauvais District in the Pincher Creek area to work around 1886-87 bringing with him a saddle horse and a valuable race horse. He met and married Florence Gregoire on the 28th August, 1898 in Pincher Creek. They had ten children. He bought land from the CNR that had been lived on by Salmo, deemed a be squatter, which was about 7 miles from town. He built a log home on the property and raised hay, green feed and a few Clyde horses.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 221.
Mr. Claxton came to Calgary in 1883. A baker by trade he opened a bakery on the east side of the Elbow River, and later opened a second bakery known as the of Star Bakery and Confectionery, three doors east of the post office. He was recorded as a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources.
Walter Claxton was born in 1859 at Centralia, Illinois, U.S.A. He came to Calgary in 1883. He was one of the first building contractors in the city of Calgary, a business which he was to conduct for many years. Walter Claxton married Josephine Anna Martin, 22 January 1891 in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, U.S.A. They had two children. Walter Claxton died 14 August 1931 at Calgary.
George Clayton was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1887.
Henry Clayton was born in 1852 in Thorganby, England. He married Ellen Teanby at Melton Ross, Lincolnshire, England, 4 May 1874. For a time he resided in a sod hut on a quarter section where Balzac now stands. He raised sheep. Subsequently, he homesteaded and acquired land near Airdrie. Henry and Ellen raised six children. Henry died at Airdrie in 1920. He was in Calgary in 1888.
John Cleland was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.
Peter Cleland was born February 02, 1848 in Woodstock, Ontario. A veteran of the North West Rebellion he came west with the CPR in 1883. A Carriage Maker by trade, he homesteaded 3.5 miles southwest of Midnapore in the area now known now as spruce Meadows. He married Mary E. Hadskis of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Mary died January 07, 1926 and Peter died on October 17, 1933. They had two daughters.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.
Enoch Clemens came to Calgary in 1883 where he had a large garden in northeast Calgary on second avenue near fourth street. His main crop was rhubarb but he also grew other vegetables. He died in Calgary in 1932.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Chaps and Chinooks, Vol. 2, Foothills Historical Society.
Joe and Sam Clemens, brothers of Enoch, homesteaded along the Jumping Pound Creek. Joe homesteaded NE 1/4 of Sec.12-25-5-W5M and Sam homesteaded the adjoining NW 1/4 of Sec.12-25-5-W5M. The Clemens Hill School was built on Joe's property and in later years, gas was discovered on his land. All the brothers were first cousins to author Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain).
2004 Addendum. Ref: Chaps and Chinooks, Vol. 2, Foothills Historical Society.
Wellington Cleveland was born in Sussex, New Brunswick in November 06, 1854. In 1882 at Petitcodiac, NB, he married Elizabeth (Eliza) Martin, born July 25, 1862 in NB. Wellington and his wife worked for Colonel Walker in Cochrane when they came west. In 1888, He opened a dairy at Nose Creek and sold milk to Calgary residents. In 1900, He homesteaded at Delacour about 1900. He was also post master at Delacour for some time. Wellington and Eliza had four children, two born in NB and two born in Calgary. Wellington died in Calgary in 1933.
Merged with 2004 Addendum.
Mr. And Mrs. Cloakey first came to the Westerdale District in 1890, homesteading on SW 1/4 of Sec.36-32-3-W5M. Having developed his homestead they moved to Olds where he became a real estate agent and a landman for the CPR. Later they moved to Calgary and he was active in oil field developments in the Turner Valley area.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A Trail Grows Dim , Westerdale Willing Workers p. 22.
Thomas Clouston was in Calgary in 1890 and died in Calgary in 1932.
Richard Coates was born in Cumberland, England in 1867, where he completed his schooling and worked at the local coking ovens. He arrived in Fort Macleod in 1888 and then in the fall he moved to Cowley. He filed on homestead land 3.5 miles north of Cowley and worked for G. F. Goodsal during the summer and in the coking ovens in Fernie during the winter. With the money earned he purchased some animals and equipment to start farming. He sent for Elizabeth, his girlfriend in England to join him and on June 02, 1901, they were married. They had three daughters. Richard died in 1935 and his wife Elizabeth died in 1957.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 307.
Issac Coatsworth came to the Cochrane area in 1888.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Lewis Cochran was born at Maitland, Nova Scotia in 1846. He married Sarah Anderson at Maitland and moved to Medicine Hat in 1888. Lewis operated a general store and acted as an Immigration Agent. They raised six children. Lewis Cochran died in Victoria, B.C. in 1916.
Matthew Cochrane founded the Cochrane Ranch Company Ltd. in 1881. The ranch originally located on a 109,000 acre land lease at Big Hill (now Cochrane). The ranch was stocked with cattle from Montana, brought in two large drives in 1881 and 1882. The second drive was plagued with snow storms enroute, and most of the herd starved during the winter of 1882 to 1883. In the summer of 1883 the ranch operations and the remaining herd were moved to a new site on the Belly River, southwest of Fort Macleod. The Big Hill was transferred to the British American Ranch Company in 1884. The ranch at Big Hill was managed by Major James Walker, 1881 to 1882, and W.D. Kerfoot, 1882 to 1884. Frank White was treasurer of the Big Hill ranch 1882 to 1883, and manager of the Belly River Ranch, 1883 to 1884. In 1885, William F. Cochrane, the senator's son, took over as manager. The ranch was sold to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1905 and the land opened for settlement.
Thomas Cochrane came to Cochrane area in 1884 and formed the C.C. Ranch with his cousin William Edward Cochrane and Hugh Graham, as well as Ted and Frank Jenkins.
William Cochrane came to the Cochrane area in 1884 and farmed the C.C. Ranch in partnership with Thomas H.D. Cochrane, Hugh Graham and Ted and Frank Jenkins. His partners sold their interests to Billie Cochrane. The ranch was sold to Jack Drumheller in 1909. William married Evelyn Constance Clementine Lam in 1887. He died in 1929.
Fitzgerald Cochrane, the son of Senator Matthew H. Cochrane, of Ottawa, a Barrister and Attorney-At Law in Calgary, is reported to have been admitted, Nova Scotia 1855 and Manitoba, 1882.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources March, 1885.
James Ernest Coe was born in Long Melford, Suffolk, England on Jun. 25, 1832. In 1860 at Sudbury, Suffolk, England, he married Elizabeth Tiffen, born Mar. 24, 1836 at Acton, Suffolk, England. James and Elizabeth, arrived in 1883, at Beaver Creek, ten miles into the Porcupine Hills. James invested a considerable amount of money in cattle to stock their ranch. Unfortunately, his trust was misplaced, his funds disappeared and the cattle failed to make an appearance. He had to look elsewhere for a source of livelihood. The family moved to Fort Macleod, where James was employed by the North West Mounted Police, as a Veterinarian. In mid-1885, the Coes moved to Lethbridge where James owned a horse ranch on the north side of the Oldman River. There were five children in the family (Edith Emma, James Ernest, Jessie Margaret, Beatrice Maud, Alice Rosamond). Ernest went into the draying business. Edith, who had earned a teacher's certificate in Paris, started a private school (the first school in Lethbridge) in one of the rooms of the Miner's Library. James died in 1907 at Lethbridge and Elizabeth died Dec. 31 1922 at Lethbridge.
Merged two original records. Researched by Dora Armstrong, May/June 1992. Additional research by JFR.
Mr. Cody arrived in Lethbridge in 1883. Cody was a contractor and builder and he and his associate, Mr. Gay, built the First Presbyterian Church, in February 1886.
Researched by Dora Armstrong, June 1992
Lucius Coleman came with his aunt, Miss Augusta Minerva Adams, from Iroquois, Ontario to Morleyville in the early 1880s. They settled north of there and jointly owned land. He later homesteaded another property where he built a large two story house. He married Ella from Guelph, Ontario in 1896 and they had a daughter Francis.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 107.
David Collicutt was born in 1845 at St. John, N.B. He was married to Nancy Martin. They raised four children. He came to Calgary in 1889 and worked for his uncle Wellington Cleveland at his dairy farm at Nose Creek. He sold milk in Calgary. He later operated a grocery store in partnership with John Hawkey. He subsequently farmed near Union Cemetery and operated a ranch at Airdrie, Alberta. He died at Calgary in 1936.
Curate to the Vicar of Calgary in 1888.
Jack Collins came with his daughter to Pincher Creek area in 1878.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary Daily Hearld, Nov. 18, 1933.
Peter Collins came to Calgary 1886. He operated a brick yard in Calgary, then moved to Cochrane in 1902, operating a brick yard there until about 1920.
Frank and William came to the Lethbridge area in 1885, on their way to Oregon, with a wagon and team. They were in need of cash and the Lethbridge House was under construction and the owner, Bill Henderson, hired them to haul lumber with their team and wagon. This was the start of a partnership, in the draying business, that grew from one wagon to twelve. They started the first lumber yard in 1886. Coal was loaded at the pit and delivered to the homes for forty cents per ton. It was commonplace to shovel and deliver twenty tons a day. In 1897, Frank and Bill formed the North West Jobbing and Commission Company, the first wholesale house in the west. William Colpman was Mayor of Lethbridge in 1895. The brothers retired to Victoria, B.C.
Researched by Dora Armstrong, June 1992.
Mr. Colquhoun came to and resided on the Sarcee Reserve in 1882. He later farmed at Cluny, Alberta.
Owen Colton was born in Corkery, Ontario in 1862. He came to Medicine Hat in 1890. He married Mary Ann Roche in 1908 at Killaloe, Ontario. They had four children, all girls. He died in Calgary in 1948.
James Colvin joined the NWMP in Toronto in June, 1875 and was initially sent west to Fort MacLeod. In the fall of 1875 he, along with other members of F Troop, were sent to the confluence of the Bow and Elbow Rivers where they established Fort Calgary. In 1880 he requested an early discharge in order to take the position of Indian Agent at Fort Walsh. In 1882 he became employed as a supply officer to the CPR. When the railway had passed Calgary, he took a position as book-keeper and confidential clerk for George Clift King and held that position until his death. In 1883, He married Matilda Fiske, who came to Calgary in 1882 in a covered wagon from Moose Jaw. James and Matilda had two children. James Colvin died at Calgary in 1885 and his remains rest at the Union cemetery. Matilda died at Calgary in 1915.
Merged with 2004 Addendum.
Charles Comer was born in 1870 at Kingston, Ontario. He came to Calgary in 1889. Charles married Ida May in 1895. He worked in a hardware store for E.R. Rogers (later called Ashdown Hardware) until 1899 when he established Comer Hardware. Charles and Ida had four children.
Mr. Compton's name is featured in an ad for the Elbow Bridge Saloon and Brewery in 1885.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Calgary, Her Industries & Resources, 1885.
William Conklin was born in 1852 at Huntington, Long Island, U.S.A. He was originally a sailor. He came to High River in 1883 with the J.W. Short family. He worked on various ranches in the High River district. He was dragged to his death by a bronc on the Mavleay Ranch, near High River. William never married.
David Conn was born in 1860 and came to Lethbridge, in 1890. He worked for a coal company mechanical department, and was an engineer with Lethbridge Power Plant. He was honorary President of the "Pemmican Club".
Joseph Connell was born at Mathers Corners, Ontario. He arrived in Gladys Ridge on April 06, 1889. He married Elizabeth Banks Thomson at Okotoks, in 1895. They had twelve children, five sons and seven daughters. Harry homesteaded in the Gladys area. He died at Gladys, Alberta in 1961.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: M. E. Breitkeuz.
Milton Connell homesteaded the NE 1/4 of Sec.26-21-1-W5M in the 1880s in the Stormont District. A bachelor, he died while duck hunting on his property.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision.
Albert Connelly was born at Windsor Mills, Quebec. He came to Pincher Creek in 1885. With his brother Alfred, he built the first hotel (the Alberta) in Pincher Creek, around 1887. He freighted from Fort Benton to Fort Macleod. Albert Connelly married Elizabeth Radon in 1891 at Pincher Creek. Albert and Elizabeth had five children, two sons and three daughters. He died at Pincher Creek in 1908.
Alfred Connelly was born in Ireland in 1858. He came to Pincher Creek, in 1885. He, along with his brother Albert Charles, built the first hotel (The Alberta) in Pincher Creek about 1887. He married Elizabeth Clyne in 1890 at Pincher Creek. Elizabeth came to Southern Alberta in 1883. They raised four children, two boys and two girls. He died at Pincher Creek in 1924.
Charles Conrad was a trader/partner in Conrad Bros. of Fort Benton, Montana. A Signatory to Treaty No.7., he also signed the address of welcome to Governor Laird at Fort Macleod, September 4, 1877.
Mr. Conrad, one of the founders of I.G.Baker company, built his first home in Calgary during the 1870s. It was typical of early dwellings consisting of log walls, mud roof, dirt floor, one window and a leather hinged door.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Herald.
George Constantine came to Calgary in 1885. He was a blacksmith and bought out a branch shop of John B. Rivet which was located on Stephen Avenue next door to Rogers & Grant. He later became Calgary's first Fire Chief.
Charles Conybeare was born in 1860 at Chiswick, Middlesex, England. He came to Winnipeg in 1880. He was called to the Bar in 1885 and immediately moved to Lethbridge, where he set up practice. In 1888 he formed a partnership with Mr. Galliher which continued until 1897. In 1890 he married Letitia Ida Attwood. They had three children. He continued practicing law in Lethbridge under various firm names for many years. His interesting career encompassed acting as a Crown Prosecutor, acting as a School Trustee, being a founding member of the Lethbridge Board of Trade, a Branch of the N.W.T. Law Society and Chancellor of the Calgary Diocese of the Church of England.
George Cook was born at Bathhurst, New Brunswick in 1842. He married Mary-Anne Scott from Prescott, Ontario in 1876. They came to Calgary in 1884. George and Mary-Anne raised six children, three sons and three daughters. George died in Calgary in 1925.
Ralph Cook (Cooke) was born in Ireland and came to Canada in 1850 to work for an uncle in Ontario at Williams Ford. Some years later he met and married Annie Bluff from Buffalo. He and Annie lived at Williams Ford for a few years then came to Calgary in 1888. They moved to Poplar Grove (now Innisfail) in 1889. Ralph took a homestead south of Poplar Grove on the Edmonton Trail. He died in 1911.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Lance P. Cooke.
Rev. Cooper came to Calgary in 1887. He was appointed Rural Dean of the Anglican church in Calgary in 1898. He officiated at Archdeacon Tims wedding at Gleichen in 1890.
Henry Cooper was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1888.
James Cooper, born in Orangeville, Ontario in 1864, came west to Banff in 1884. He worked initially at the Cochrane Ranch. He married Isabel Monilaws in 1891, born in Kincardine, Ontario in 1862, had come to Mitford to teach school. He homesteaded the NE 1/4 of Sec.28-26-W5M in 1895, known as the Hillsdale Ranch. They moved to Kelowna, BC in 1915, and later moved to Banff to work as a foreman of the road construction crew in the park. James died in 1951 at 87 years and , Isabel died in 1952 at 90 years. They had no family.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country.
Mr. Cootz, a Dutchman, is reportedly one of the first to go through The Gap in the early 1880s.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Pincher Creek p. 6-7.
Sidney Copas came to Calgary in 1887 at the age of 19 years. He married a Birnie.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SPAD archives.
Thomas Copeland farmed at Langdon, in 1884. He was born in 1886 at Dundalk, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1945. In 1893 at Summerberry, Saskatchewan, married Annie H. Hewitt, who was born in 1873 at Qu'Appelle, Assiniboia, and died at Calgary in 1917. There were four children in their family.
John Copithorne was born in 1862 at Cork, Ireland. He died at Victoria, B.C. in 1933. He was married at Calgary in 1888 to Susan Toole, who was born in 1862 at Dublin, Ireland and died in 1958 at Victoria, B.C. They had a family of seven boys and two girls. John came to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1883, worked as a scout during the Riel Rebellion, then moved to Calgary in 1885. He was a ration issuer and freighter for Sarcee and Stony Reserves, he later ranched in the Jumping Pound district. John Copithorne was at Calgary in 1885.
Richard Copithorne was born in 1861 at Cork, Ireland and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1936. He married Sophia G. Wills, who was born in 1879 in Ontario and died in 1923 at Jumping Pound. They had a family of five boys and two girls. Richard came to Jumping Pound in 1887 to ranch with his brother John. They operated the Lone Star Ranch in the forestry reserve.
Joseph Copely was born in Ontario in 1864 and died at Crossfield, Alberta in 1959. He was married in 1887 to Jessie Sutherland. They had five children. John and Joseph Copley came to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1882 and worked on the construction of the C.P.R. They homesteaded in Manitoba in 1883 and because this offered nothing, they joined a wagon train and came to Olds, Alberta in 1890. Later they settled in the Crossfield district.
Thomas Copp was born at Woodstock, Ontario in 1864 and died in 1945 at Calgary. In 1895 he married Harriet Somerville, who was born at Litchfield, Quebec in 1873 and died at Calgary in 1957. There were three children in the family. Thomas R.B. Copp was at Calgary in 1886.
Irene (Jane) Acton married Robert Corbett. There were two sons in their family. Robert was a carpenter in Calgary in 1889. He was also register of baptisms, marriages and deaths at the Church of the Redeemer in Calgary.
William Thomas Corby was born in Lincoln, England and died at Calgary in 1938. He was a shoemaker by trade, and in later years operated a market garden on the outskirts of Calgary. He was in Calgary in 1890. Mrs. Corby died about 1901. They had a family of two daughters and three sons.
Rev. Cornish was Blackfoot Agency Clerk in 1885. In 1887 he moved to the Sarcee Reserve, Calgary. He left in 1896 to study for the ministry, and in 1921-23 was back at Gleichen as a Minister.
Mr. Cosgrove arrived with the C.P.R. survey party, 1881-1885 at Gleichen. He later took a job as ranch instructor on the North Blackfoot Reservation. He married Miss Ema Nottar who was employed at the Indian Mission where Deacon Tims was in charge. Mr. Cosgrave ran his cattle on the Indian reserve, objections were made to the Indian agent so he sold his stock to George Lane of Namaka Farms and with the proceeds he built a hardware store in Gleichen. His son Dick was the Chuckwagon champion at the Calgary Exhibition.
Harry Cossar was born in 1853 at Selkirk, Scotland and died at Calgary in 1930. He was a rancher north of the Bow River, Calgary in 1883. He was married in 1875 at Collingwood, Ontario to Lillian Beveridge, who was born in 1855 at Collingwood, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1928. There were three children in their family.
Mr. Costello came to Renfrew, Ontario in 1862 and taught school there. In 1883 he came to Calgary, to become Calgary's first teacher, became Inspector of schools, Inspector of Weights and Measures, a Justice of the Peace and built the Costello Block on Eighth Avenue. He was born in County Mayo, Ireland in 1841 and died at Calgary in 1918. In 1874 at Fitzroy, Quebec he married Elizabeth Copps. She was born in 1850 at Arnprior, Ontario and died in 1928 at Calgary. There were six children in the family, three girls and three boys.
John married Major T. Dowling's daughter; she died in 1954 at Vancouver, B.C. They had one son. Mr. Costigan was a lawyer, and was the prosecutor during the 'Jumbo Fiske trial' in 1889. He died in 1902.
George Cotter was amongst the charter members of the Masonic Alberta Lodge No. 3, in Ft. Macleod which was instituted prior to December 31, 1890.
John Cotter joined the NWMP in 1879 and came west to Fort Walsh and then to Fort Macleod. Following his retirement from the force in 1884, he ranched for four years on the St. Mary's River. Later he rejoined the NWMP until he retired to Barrie, Ontario. He died at about 80 years of age.
Ab Cotterell was a trail boss on the North West Cattle Company's first drive of cattle in 1882. He remained as foreman until 1884, then returned to Idaho to trail another herd north. In 1887 he became foreman for Walter Skrine on the Bar S Ranch. In 1890 he went north to the Battle River and Edmonton. He is believed to have died in 1898, perhaps in the Klondike.
Albert Cotton came to Medicine Hat, in 1884. He was a C.P.R. engineer. His sister Sarah joined him in 1885 and a brother John Alfred in 1887. Albert was born in England in 1863 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1926. He married Susan Harriet Whitlock in 1888 at Medicine Hat and they had one child Annie Myra. Susan died in 1895 at Lethbridge. In 1897 at Lethbridge, he was married to Florence Geraldine Cookman, who was born at Kitchener, Ontario and died in 1953 at Coquitlam, B.C. They had five children in their family (Flora Geraldine, Dorother Maud, Albert Norman, Ralph Hall, John G.).
Merged two original records. Additional research by JFR.
John Alfred Cotton came to Medicine Hat, in 1887. He was born in England in 1872 and died at Calgary in 1937. He married Phoebe Calder at Medicine Hat in 1889. She was born in Nova Scotia and died at Calgary in 1960. They had a daughter, Jean.
Sarah Cotton came to Medicine Hat in 1885 to keep house for her brother, Albert.
Daniel Courtney ranched in the High River area in 1888.
William Cousins came to Medicine Hat, in 1883. He was born at London, Ontario in 1856 and died in 1940 at Medicine Hat. In 1883 at London, Ontario he was married to Jessie Thornton, who was born in 1860 at London, and died at Medicine Hat in 1937. William was a grocer, then in 1882 he moved west to Winnipeg, Manitoba and later with a stock of general merchandise he travelled overland to Medicine Hat and set up business in a tent. He became involved in ranching and real estate. The Cousins Block and other buildings were constructed by him. He was active with church, school and civic affairs. He was also first Mayor of Medicine Hat 1908-1909.
John Cowan came to the Springbank area in 1887.
Mr. Cowan came to the Dunmore area in 1888. He was born at Cavan, Ireland and died at Medicine Hat, in 1901. He married Jane Strain, who was born in Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1915 at Provost, Alberta. They had one daughter, Mary.
In 1882 Robert Cowan was at Winnipeg, Manitoba. He served with the volunteer cavalry during the Riel Rebellion and came to Cochrane in 1885. He sold his ranch in 1906 and returned to Scotland. He was born at Glasgow, Scotland in 1861 and died at Roxburghshire, Scotland. At Glasgow in 1892 he married Ella M. Balloch, who was born there in 1861 and died at Roxburghshire in 1950. They had three children in their family.
Roy Cowan arrived in Alberta in 1886, working with the Powder River Cattle Co. He eventually settled in Langdon, Alberta.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: grandchild: Betty Edith Hadway.
John Cowdry came to Regina, Saskatchewan in 1882 and Fort Macleod in 1886, where in partnership with his brother he started a private bank. In 1905 he sold it to the Bank of Commerce. He was born in 1857 at York Mills, Ontario and died in 1947 at Vancouver, B.C. His first wife was Amy Whitney and Augusta Thompson was the second. There were two girls and three boys in the family.
Nat Cowdrey came to Fort Macleod in 1882. Nat with his brother, John was a partner in the Cowdrey Bros. Bank. Mr. Cowdrey was born in 1849 in England. His wife was Anna Ingham who was born at Paget, Bermuda, and they had one daughter.
Arthur Cox opened the first school at Pincher Creek. He was on the construction crew of the C.P.R. at Medicine Hat in 1882 and was at Fort Macleod in 1883. He was also a Dominion land surveyor. In 1885 he enlisted in the Rocky Mountain Rangers. Later he ranched. He was born in 1856 in London, England and died in 1946 at Pincher Creek, Alberta. At Fort Macleod in 1887 he married Mary E. Willock, who was born at Lindsay, Ontario and died in 1940 at Pincher Creek. There were eight girls and four boys in their family.
William Cox came to Fort Macleod in 1880. He was born in 1861 at Ottawa, Ontario and died in 1951 at Calgary. He married Pauline Martin in 1907 at Ottawa. She was born there in 1870 and died at Fort Macleod in 1964. They had three sons and a daughter. William served with the NWMP from 1880 until 1886, was ration issuer at the Peigan Reserve and later operated a trading post. He carried mail, worked at the Waldron Ranch and finally homesteaded and raised horses.
The Craig brothers operated the Macleod Dairy Farm and ranched on the south side of the Old Man River, and on the Willow Creek range in 1888. They had registered cattle and horse brands.
Mr. Craig operated the New Oxley ranch, ranging on Willow Creek in 1888. He had registered cattle and horse brands.
James Craig came to Lethbridge in 1887 and worked as a Foreman for the railway.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Mr. and Mrs. Craig came to Lethbridge in 1885. John was born in 1853, in Ontario and died in 1943. Margaret, nee McWirter, was born in 1859 and died in April, 1947, at Lethbridge. They were married in 1884 at Woodstock, Ontario and came West to Dunmor. John was a carpenter and builder. He had a furniture store and was an undertaker, successor to Climie and Robertson, in 1886. He was a member of the first School Board, in Lethbridge. He and his wife attended the first ball in 1885.
Researched by D. Armstrong, May 1992
John R. Craig worked in Ontario as a purebred stock man. He came to Alberta in 1881 and was manager of the Oxley Ranch in 1882. Following a trip to England in order to secure financial backing he obtained the first Oxley lease. He managed the ranch for a few years then went ranching on his own in the Meadow Creek area in 1886. He was the author of a book 'Ranching with Lords and Commons'. He was married and had one daughter.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Leavings by Trail - Granum by Trail.
In 1884 he joined the NWMP and two years later worked for the J. Johnstone Ranch at Jumping Pound. In 1894 he homesteaded in the Nose Creek area and later at Jumping Pound. He sold out after three years. Robert was born at Dumfrie, Scotland in 1861 and died in 1930 at Cochrane. In 1895 at Calgary, he married Rose Chaldicot, who was born in 1871 at Dorchester, England and died in 1906 at Calgary, Alberta. There were three boys and two girls in their family. Robert was a constable at Cochrane and a night watchman at the Ghost Dam in later years.
Thomas ranching in partnership with Jack Ewell they were the first settlers in Poverty Flats district near Pincher Creek, in 1885. He had registered cattle and horse brands in 1888.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek.
James Crawford was at Calgary, in 1885. He worked on the Paleface Ranch, Pekisko. He homesteaded but was not able to obtain water and after two years established the Sunnyside Ranch, now 7U. James died in 1932. He married Rachael Greig, who died in 1946. They had one daughter, Rachael.
William Crawford was born in 1864 at Park Hill, Ontario and died in 1935 at Medicine Hat. At Peterborough, Ontario he married Eva Jane Edwards. There were two boys and two girls in their family. William came to Medicine Hat, in 1884. He was a brakeman, then conductor for the C.P.R. for twenty-five years. William was also a director of the J.H. Tabor Candy Company, president of the Medicine Hat News and director of the Medicine Hat Steam Laundry Co.
Charles Cregor came west to the Lethbridge area in the 1880s for health reasons. In partnership with Frank Adshead he raised Clydesdale horses and had a Morgan stallion.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Bend -West Lethbridge.
George Creighton was from Ontario and came to Morleyville in 1883. He homesteaded the W 1/2 of Sec.28-26-5-W5M. He packed for a survey party in the Peace River country during the late 1890s. He later purchased the Le Sueur Ranch which became known by his Bar C brand. He died in March 1915.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 106.
John Creighton was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889. He was a City Alderman, and on the of January 07, 1891 he became treasurer for Calgary. He died July 23, 1902.
David Crichton was born in 1872 at Dundee, Scotland and died in 1940 at Calgary. He came to Lethbridge, in 1890. He was married in 1898 at Perth, New Brunswick to Jessie Campbell, who was born in 1873 at Perth and died at Calgary in 1955. They had a son and daughter.
Henry Farrow Crick came to Calgary, with his father and mother in 1885. His parents and their children encountered housing difficulties and moved to B.C. Henry was born in 1865 at Suffolk, England and died in 1949 at Calgary. In 1889 at Calgary he married Lizzie Buchanan Walker, who was born in 1865 at Perth, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1929. Henry was assistant appraiser for the Dominion Customs and worked for I.G. Baker Co. Lizzie was a milliner and sang in Knox Church choir. Oswald came to Calgary in 1885, he was elected to the N.W.T. Assembly for Calgary West in 1894. He used Critchley Bros. brand for his cattle and horses. The range was the Bow river.
Oswald Asheton Critchley was born in 1864 in Manchester, England. In the 1880s, he purchased the Stapleton Ranch on the Bow River and in 1889 married Maria Cecil Newbolt who was born in 1865. They had two sons. The first son, Alfred Cecil, was born in 1890. Maria died giving birth to their second son, Walter Ramsey, in 1891. In 1892, Oswald married Mary Winifred Holt in Liverpool, England. She gave birth to a son, John (Jack) Asheton, in November of 1892 at Calgary. In 1894, Oswald was elected to the third Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories for West Calgary. Oswald sold his ranch in 1899, returned to England and there twin sons, Richard (Dick) Oswald and Gerald Holt were born in 1905 at Carlisle, England. In 1909, he returned to Canada and bought the Bell-Irving ranch in Grand Valley and continued ranching until the outbreak of WW1. He joined Lord Strathcona's Horse with his sons, Alfred and John, and served in France. John was twice wounded and received the Military Cross. He later died of wounds received while leading his squadron in a mounted action in 1917. Oswald's other son, Walter, was in the Calgary Highlanders and received the DSO at Vimy Ridge. As a resident of Chislehurst, Kent, England, Oswald died in 1935 while staying at Dundarave House, Bushmills, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, home of Sir Francis Alexander Macnaghten, 8th Baronet, hereditary Clan Chief and fellow member of the Calgary Polo Club.
Merged with Addendum 2004. Ref: Big Hill Country, p. 363. Additional research by JFR.
He ranged cattle on Nose Creek in the 1880's. His cattle brand was registered in 1888.
William Crockett was at Calgary in 1877 then farmed in the Okotoks area. He was born in 1843 in Virginia, U.S.A. and died in 1905 at Pincher Creek. In 1877 at Old Yakima, Washington, U.S.A. he married Adelia Ellen Thorp, who was born in Oregon, U.S.A. in 1855 and died at Okotoks in 1925. There were two sons in their family.
Magnus Cromarty came to Pakan Alberta in 1878.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAP membership application files, Re: Thomas William Buchanan.
James Crombie settled at High River, in 1881. He was an accountant. His wife joined him in 1883. In 1886 he sold his homestead to Charles Blunt and moved out of the province.
Frank Crosby was in the Calgary area in 1882. He was born at Salem, Mass. U.S.A. in 1855 and died in 1926 at Wakefield, Mass. In 1888 at Wakefield he married Althea M. Mitchell, who was born at Lynnfield, Mass. in 1864 and died in 1944 at Lowell, Mass. There was a daughter and son in their family.
A.E. Cross was well educated both in Canada and England. He was a Veterinary surgeon. In 1884 he came to the British American Ranch as assistant manager and bookkeeper. Within two years he had a homestead west of Nanton, Alberta and was extending his holdings. While convalescing from surgery in Montreal, he studied brewing and set up Calgary Brewing and Malting Company in 1892. Mr. Cross was born at Montreal, Quebec in 1861 and died there in 1932. In 1899 at Calgary, he married Helen Rothney Macleod, who was born at Fort Macleod in 1878 and died at Calgary in 1959. A.E. was in the Cochrane area in 1884 and his business and contributions to civic affairs were widespread.
Inspector Crozier was with the NWMP at Calgary in 1876.
Thomas Crump worked for the C.P.R. for forty-four years. He came to Gleichen, in 1890 and was a brakeman when the airbrake had not yet been adopted. He plied the trade on some of the most rugged trackage on earth. He was superintendent of the Kettle Valley division the last ten years before his retirement in 1934. Mr. Crump was born in 1871 in England and died in 1964 at Vancouver, B.C. In 1895 at Winnipeg, Manitoba he married Miss. Edwards, who was born at Dundas, Ontario and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1942. They had a family of three sons and one daughter.
Bob Cruikshanks was in the Pincher Creek area in the 1880's.
Edmond Cuffling came with the Quorn Ranch stallions to the Quorn Ranch in 1886. He homesteaded in the Panima district. In 1905 he suffered a crippling stroke and as a result sold his homestead and lived at Okotoks until his death in 1910. Edmond Cuffling was born at Leicester, England in 1864. He was unmarried.
Jonathon Cuffling was born in 1863 at Leicester, England and died at Calgary, in 1903. He was married in 1895(96) to Margaret Bemus. They had three sons and one daughter in their family. Jonathon came to the Quorn Ranch in 1886 to join his uncle. He was there for a few years before taking a homestead in 1889. He helped build the Millarville church. He was also an expert marksman and keen hunter.
James Cullen was born in England in 1867 and died at Calgary in 1950. He was a member of the NWMP (No. 1922) in 1887. He married Elizabeth and they had two children. James is buried in the Union Cemetery.
Keys Cullen came to Calgary area to farm in 1887.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAP membership application files.
William Cullen was born at Flesherton, Ontario and died at Calgary. He married Annie Hamilton at Flesherton in 1863. They had a family of three sons and four daughters. William came to Calgary in 1887
Dick Cumming came to Fort Macleod in 1885 with the NWMP He was born in 1859 at Coburg, Ontario and died in 1935 at Fort Macleod. In 1900 at Fort Macleod he married Marie, who was born in 1879 and died in 1966 at Fort Macleod. They had no family. Mrs. Cumming worked in a bank and after Dick's retirement they were known for their garden and beautiful grounds in Fort Macleod.
J.H. Cummings operated a livery stable with a Mr. Allen at Calgary, in 1885. They both came from Montana, U.S.A.
A.B.A. Cunningham was in Calgary in 1886. He died at Three Hills, Alberta in 1933. At Brandon, Manitoba in 1894 he married Elinore L. Cole. They had two children.
P.J. Cunningham was at Fort Macleod in 1888 and was a rancher on the Belly River. His horse brand was registered in 1888.
Mr. Curran worked at Anthracite, in 1886, and for several more years, then moved to Banff and later Cochrane. He was born in Scotland in 1852 and died at Banff in 1940. He had three children. A number of his paintings are held by the Whyte Museum at Banff.
John Currie came to the Davisburg area in 1886. He was born at Ulverton, Quebec in 1844 and died at DeWinton in 1932. He was married in 1867 at Ulverton to Jane Richmond. She was born there in 1851 and died in 1932 at DeWinton. They had a family of ten daughters and six sons. Mr. Currie was postmaster at Grierson, and later at Melrose. The first school meeting was held in their home.
Mr. Curry arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. He operated a gents haberdashery and tailor shop, for many years.
Researched by Dora Armstrong, June 1992
Mr. Curry came to the Lethbridge area in 1870. He was the first Manager of the I.G. Baker store. He also operated a Butcher Shop, for the Circle Ranch Company. In 1891, he was a member of the Town council.
Researched by Dora Armstrong, June 1992.
Mr. Cushing had public and business education when he came to Calgary. In 1887 he took charge of his brother's office and was there until 1893. He returned to Ontario to complete his education. He again worked for his brother until 1900 when he went to the Edmonton branch of Cushing Bros. Ltd. Arthur was born in 1869 at Kenilworth, Ontario and died in 1944 at Vancouver, B.C. He was married in 1902 at Winnipeg, Manitoba to Annie Nelson, who was born there and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1947. They had a family of one daughter and two sons. Mr. Cushing contributed much of his time to public affairs.
William Cushing was born in 1852 in Wellington Co. Ontario and died at Calgary in 1934. In 1877 he was married to Elizabeth Rinn, who was also born in Wellington Co., but died in 1880. In 1883 He married Mary Jane Waters. There were two children. William took up building as an occupation and his first contract was building two churches in Calgary in 1883. He contributed much to public life, as a Alderman in 1910-1911, and in the Alberta Legislature in 1905 as Minister of Public Works. He was also a member of the hospital board.
Lionel Cutting was born in England in 1867 and died in 1908 at Blairmore, Alberta. He was unmarried. His name is recorded in St. Martins Church at Heritage Park, Calgary. He was at Pincher Creek before 1890.
Thomas Cutting was married at Calgary, about 1890 to Mary Thomson, who was born in 1868 at Fifeshire, Scotland and died at Gladys, in 1892. They had two children. Thomas homesteaded NW 30-20-27-W5th at Gladys in 1889.
Mark Cuzner was Calgary's first barber. There is a later reference to Cuzner's Dining Hall in 1888. Mark Cuzner came to Calgary in 1885.
Adolphus Cyr and F. Pelletier both began successful ranching careers east of Pincher Creek.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Early History of Pincher Creek p. 54.