SAPD Logo About Us | Initiatives | Pioneer Profiles | Building Rental
Building Fund | Membership | Notice Board | Events Calendar
Newsletter | Home| Links | Contact Us
alphabet A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Pioneer Profiles: M

MacBeth, Hugh

Hugh came to Fort Macleod in 1882. He was born in 1858 at Kildonan, Manitoba to Margaret and Alexander MacBeth who had come from Scotland to form the Selkirk Settlement in Manitoba. In 1874, at the age of 16, Hugh joined the Hudson Bay Co. as a fur trader. In 1882 he joined the I.G. Baker Co. in Fort Macleod. Three years later he moved to Lethbridge to work for the Alberta Railway & Irrigation Company as an accountant. In 1903 he entered into business for himself in the real estate and insurance fields. He was a school trustee for a number of years, Alderman and member of the Galt Hospital Board. Hugh married Jeanette E. Basset in 1885. They had seven children. Three of them died in early adulthood and one son, Fred, was killed in W.W.I. Surviving were John, Rodney, and daughter Jean.

MacDonald, Alan Ban

Alan was born in 1843 in Glengarry County, Ontario and died in 1922 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married to Elizabeth Harrison, who was born in 1851 at Alexandria, Ontario and died in 1925 at Calgary. Alan came west with the C.P.R. in 1883 and later was in charge of the stores in Langdon and Shepard. In 1885 he established the Glengarry Ranch (44) with McKenzie, Mann and H.S. Holt being the principal shareholders. The ranch was sold in later years. He had a family of eight children.

MacDonald, James William

James was born in Glencoe, Scotland in 1836 and died at Priddis in 1894. He was married in Scotland to Mary Kathleen Morrison, who was born in Scotland in 1844 and died at Alrdrie in 1909. They had a family of eight children. In 1883, James settled in the Fish Creek area. He farmed until 1894 when he had an untimely death due to choking on a dried apple ring. At Priddis in 1883.

MacDonnell, Albert Edward Courtland

Albert MacDonnell came to Calgary in 1882 and died in 1938.

Machon, George

George was born on Jersey Island in 1851 and died in 1909 at Calgary, Alberta. His first marriage was at Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1884. His second marriage was to Sarah Jane MacLeod, who was born in 1893 at Meaford, Ontario and died in 1947 at Calgary, Alberta. There were six children in the family. George was a scout with the N.W.M.P. and after coming to Calgary, was a harness maker with Great West Saddlery.At Calgary in 1889.

MacKay, Edward

MacKay, Ewan

Ewan was born in 1838 at Edinburgh, Scotland and died at Cochrane, Alberta in 1908. He was married in Scotland. Ewan came to Canada with his twelve year old son after the death of his wife. He left his son in Calgary in order for him to obtain an education. Ewan established the Burnside Ranch in the Grand Valley, west of Cochrane. His two storey house is now at Heritage Park in Calgary.At Calgary in 1889.

MacKay, Robert

Robert was born in Scotland and died in 1970 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1905 at Calgary to Mary Margaret Nicholson, who was born in 1884 in England and died in 1975 at Calgary. There were 3 children. In 1907 Robert joined the Calgary Electric Light Department, becoming Superintendent until he retired in 1951. He was a member of the Engineering Institute of Canada, Honorary member of the Bow River Lodge No.1 A.F.A.M. and a member of the Royal Caledonian Curling Society of Scotland (Calgary branch). Robert was also a member of the Southern Alberta Pioneer's Association.At Calgary in 1888.

MacKay, Walter Grant

Born at Invernesshire, Scotland, Walter Grant died in 1966. He was a merchant.The following has been taken from Union Cemetary records: Born in 1870 in Scotland and died in 1966 at Calgary. His wife, Millicent Christine died in Calgary in 1939. At Calgary in 1886.

Mackid, Harry and Elizabeth

Mr. and Mrs. MacKid were in the area before 1890.

Mackid, Harry Goodsir

Harry was born in 1858 at Goderich, Ontario and died in 1916 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1881 at Seaforth, Ontario to Matilda Meyer, who was born in 1857 at Harper Bay, Ontario and died in 1929 at Calgary, Alberta. They had one son, Ludwig Stewart, who also became a doctor.Dr. Mackid received his early education in Ontario. He graduated from Toronto University in 1879 and did post graduate work in Austria, Germany, England and Scotland. He practiced medicine in Ontario for several years before coming to Calgary. He was Chief Surgeon for the Western Division of the C.P.R. as well as at the Calgary General and Holy Cross Hospitals. He was Consulting Surgeon to the General Hospital at Medicine Hat, Alberta and smaller hospitals along the C.P.R. line.At Calgary in 1889.

Mackie, James Stuart

(see also detailed post-publication profile)

James Stuart was born at the City of Westminister, London, England in 1860 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1949. He married Grace MacMillan Forgan at Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. in 1891. Grace was born at Bo'ness, Scotland in 1867 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1971. They had three sons. Mr. Mackie was a gunmaker. He opened a gun and sporting goods store, which carried a variety of goods. He was a builder of the Mackie Block and Lancaster Building on Stephen Avenue (8th Avenue) in Calgary. James was a City of Calgary Alderman 1894-96 and 1898-99 and Calgary Mayor in 1901-02. At Calgary in 1886.

MacLean, Rev. John

John was born in 1851 at Kilmarnock, Scotland and died in 1928 at Winnipeg, Manitoba. In 1880 at Guelph, Ontario he married Sarah Anne Barker, who was born at Guelph, Ontario. There were no children. A missionary and writer, John came to Canada in 1873. He was educated at Victoria University, Coburg, Ontario. He was ordained in 1880 and came to the Blood Indian Reserve where he remained until 1889. Rev. John. had various 'charges' in the west and retired in 1911. John was president of the Manitoba and N.W. Conference of the Methodist Church in 1895. He was Librarian of Wesleyan College, 1921-28. He was considered an authority of the Indian culture and wrote several books. At the Blood Reserve near Fort Macleod in 1880.

MacLean, Malcolm

Malcolm came to Lethbridge, in 1883 and was born on March30, 1855. He died on August 13, 1932 at Lethbridge.

Maclean, Wendell

Wendell was born in 1863 at Shubenacadie, N.S. and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1936. He was married in 1902 at Montreal, Quebec to Marion Livingston, who was born in 1872 at St. John, N.B. and died in 1951 at Calgary. Wendall was a druggist, founding and operating Maclean's drug store at 109-8th Avenue S.E. Calgary, Alberta. There were five children in the family. At Calgary in 1888.

MacLeod, Martin Donald

Martin was born in 1861 in Ontario and died in 1935 at Pincher Creek, Alberta. In 1888 at Aurora, Ontario he married Mary Hillary, who was born in 1867 at Aurora, Ontario and died in 1927 at Pincher Creek, Alberta. There were three children in the family. At Fort Macleod and Pincher Creek - 1886

Macleod, James Farquharson C.M.G.

James was born in 1836 at Drynoch, Isle of Skye and died in 1894 at Calgary. At Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1876 he married Mary Isabella Drever, who was born in 1852 at Fort Garry, Manitoba and died at Calgary in 1933. They had four daughters and one son. James came to Canada as a child. He received a B.A degree from the University of Toronto in 1854. James was with the Red River expedition as Brigade Major in 1870. He joined the N.W.M.P. in 1873 and was Assistant Commissioner from 1887 until his death. He was Pusine Judge of the Supreme Court of the North West Territories. James is noted for giving Calgary its name. Their eldest daughter married A.E. Cross, founder of the Calgary Brewery. At Fort Macleod in 1874.

Macleod, John

A rancher operating the Spring Grove Ranch at Grainger Station, then Kneehill Creek. At Calgary in 1890.

Macleod, Norman Torquil

Norman was born at Toronto, Ontario in 1863 and died at Lethbridge,1949. In 1892 at Lethbridge, he married Margaret A. Sherlock, who was born in 1863 at Jordon, Ontario and died in 1945 at Lethbridge. They had five children. Norman's education was received in Ontario. He came to join his uncle James F. MacLeod in 1880 and was employed by I.G. Baker Co. at Fort Macleod. The Baker Co. was taken over by the Hudson's Bay Co. in 1885 and he then moved to Lethbridge to manage the HBC store there. In 1903 he moved to Cowley, where he was associated with the J.E. Davison Co. until in 1906, he established a real estate business. He was Chairman of the Lethbridge School Board and spent several years as a School Trustee. At Fort Macleod - 1880

Researched by Maiy Lynas

Macleod, William

William was born about 1836 and died at Priddis, Alberta in 1901. He was married in Scotland to Mary Morrison, who died in 1932. There were three children in the family. William came from Ontario to Indian Head, in 1882 and on to Calgary in 1884. Macleod was at Calgary in 1884; and Priddis in 1885.

Macmillan, Thomas

Thomas was born in Scotland in 1868 and died at Okotoks, Alberta in 1939. At Okotoks in 1909 he married Maud Pinkerton, who had been married previously. She was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1872 and died at Okotoks in 1930. They had one son. Thomas was a rancher who served as President of the Alberta Horse Breeders' Association and the Clydesdale Association of Canada and as a director of the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede. MacMillan was at Lineham, N.W.T. in 1885.

Madge, George

George was born in 1866 at Devonshire, England and died in 1950 at London, Ontario. He was married at Calgary, to Sarah Ann Bradley, who was born in 1877 at Darwen, England and died at London, Ontario in 1952. There were 13 children in the family. George Madge was at Calgary in 1885.

Magrath, Charles A.

Charles came to Lethbridge in 1884. He was born in 1860 and died in 1943 at Lethbridge. He married Margaret Holmes. She died in 1892. Their home was the Riverview, built by C.A. Magrath. After his wife's death he married Mabel Lillian Galt. They had three children: Charles, Amy and Mabel. Charles was associated with the early surveying of the Northwest Territories. He was the first mayor of Lethbridge and in 1891 represented the district in the House of Commons in Ottawa as the Member of Parliament. In 1885 he associated himself with the Galt interests.

Main, O.S. (Hod)

Hod Main arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. He was at Fort Kipp in 1883 where he ranched. He was Ranch Foreman for the Cameron Ranch when they brought out a large band of Shetland ponies. Hod also owned the first butcher shop in Lethbridge, which was sold to the I.G. Baker Co. in 1886.

Malloy, Andrew

Andrew arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. He was born. August 15, 1864.

Malloy, Mike

Mike was in Lethbridge in 1887. He was born April, 1869.

Malloy, Pat

Pat was in Lethbridge in 1886. He was born March, 1855 and died in Novembe4 1930.

Manarey, William Henry

William was born in 1860 at Rocklyn, Ontario and died in 1947 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1892 to Annie Emma Martin at Canmore, Alberta. She was born in 1870 at Truro, N.S. and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1937. There was a family of five children. At Calgary in 1886.

Manning, Rev. Henry M.

In southern Alberta prior to 1890.

Marcellus, John P.

John Marcellus was born in 1838 at Morrisburg, Ontario and died at Pincher Creek in 1932. He was married in 1871 at Dunbar, Ontario to Maria Barkely, who was born in 1848 in Ontario and died in 1932 at Pincher Creek. There were eight children. J.P was a rancher. He was elected a Member of the Legislature for Pincher Creek in the first Alberta Legislative Assembly in 1907. John Marcellus came to Pincher Creek in 1888.

Marlow, Joe

Joe came to Lethbridge in 1885. He was born February, 1855.

Marlow, John

Born in 1860 at Nottingham, England and died in 1937 at Fort Macleod. He was married in England to Charlotte Braybrook, who was born in England and died at Fort Macleod in 1920. There were no children. A stone mason and bricklayer by trade Marlow did the first brick laying in Lethbridge on the Lethbridge Hotel. He moved to Fort Macleod where he did brick laying on the Court house, Great West Saddlery building, the hospital and school. At Lethbridge in 1887.

Marsh, Daniel Webster

Daniel was born in 1838 at Hudson, New Hampshire, U.S.A. He was married in Calgary to Julia Shurtliff (nee Wood). David came to Fort Walsh in 1876 as a fur trader. In 1882 he was a merchant at Maple Creek. He came to Calgary in 1884 and was employed by AP. Samples & Co. and T.C. Power Bros. In 1888 he bought out the T.C. Power interests and operated a fur store under the name of D.W. Marsh. In 1900 he sold to Wood and Green and retired. Daniel was mayor of Calgary in 1889. He was director of Calgary Gas Co. and a member of the Advisory Board of Trust and Guarantee Co.

Marshall, Charles

Charles was born in 1860 in Wisconsin, U.S.A. and died at DeWinton, Alberta in 1940. In Wisconsin in 1894 he was married to Annette Repsumer, who was born in 1868 in Wisconsin and died at DeWinton in 1966. There were six children in the family. At DeWinton in 1883

Marshall, Everett

He was engaged in newspaper and publishing located in the Examiner Building. At Caigary in 1885

Marshall, John Joseph

John was born in 1867 in Nova Scotia and died in 1932 at Fort Macleod. In 1897 at Gleichen, he was married to Cecile Lucie Beaupre, who was born in 1875 at St. Norbert, Manitoba and died in 1948 at Calgary, Alberta. They had a family of six children. A member of the N.W.M.P. he attained the rank of Sergeant in 1895 and was posted at Gleichen. He took his discharge in 1898. He was a member of the Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee contingent and a recipient of Queen Victoria's Jubilee Medal. He was employed by the C.P.R. as timekeeper during the construction of the Bassano Dam. In 1913 became the Federal Government Stockyard Inspector at Calgary and was in this position until 1932. At Fort Macleod -1885/86

Martin, Augus

Angus was born in 1837 in Scotland and died in 1915 at Red Deer, Alberta. He was married at Guelph, Ontario to Elizabeth Kennedy in 1865. She was born at Guelph, Ont. in 1847 and died at Red Deer, Alberta in 1929. There were nine children in their family. The Martin family moved to Ridgewood in 1890 from Calgary. They operated a boarding house there. At Red Deer in 1889

Martin, Daniel Sr.

Daniel was born in 1838 at Bush Mills, Ireland and died at Rosebud, Alberta in 1918. At St. Thomas, Ontario in 1873, he married Julia Ann Crowley, who was born in 1852 at Cork, Ireland and died at Rosebud, in 1906. There were nine children in the family. At Medicine Hat - 1883; Blackfoot Crossing - 1884

Martin, John Alexander

Johnny was born 11 March, 1883 near Chatham, Ontario to Angus Martin (1837-1915) and Elizabeth Kennedy (1847-1929). He settled with his family in the Pine Hill/Ridgewood area, just south of Sylvan Lake in 1886. He would farm on the original homestead until his retirement. He married Annie Ramsay, a school teacher, in 1920. They had two children. Betty Jean (Douglas McCullough) in 1924 (now a Sherwood Park housewife). Leonard John (June McFarland) in 1930 (Now a Calgary Geologist). Annie died in 1974; John in 1975.

Submitted by David John Martin (son of Leonard John Martin)

Mar T.W.

Calgary, 1881-1891. A retired rancher in the Okotoks area.

Mather, William

Born in 1867 in Scotland and was married at Banff, in 1896 to Margaret Curren, who died at Banff in 1933.There were four children in the family.William came to Calgary in 1887; he was in the lumber business. In 1891 he moved to Banff and later purchased the Banff Boat House and operated it for many years. A member of the Curling Club for many years.

Matheson, Rev. E.K.

A Minister at Lethbridge, 1886-1888. He directed the construction of the 1st Street Augustine's Church at Lethbridge.At Lethbridge in 1886

Mathews, Robert Gordon

Born in 1867 at Dublin, Ireland and died in 1953 at Everett, Washington, U.S.A. At Fort Macleod in 1899 he was married to Nina Clare Casey, who was born in 1878 at Colborne, Ontario and died in 1967 at Edmonton, Alberta. Robert joined the N.W.M.P. in 1887 and was stationed at Fort Macleod from 1889 until 1893 with the 'K Division. He was publisher of the Macleod Gazette and editor for four years. In 1897 was secretary of the Western Stock Growers Association. Paymaster of the 13th Mounted Rifles and went overseas in 1915. He was awarded the O.B.E. in 1922. At Fort Macleod in 1889

Mathias, Egerton Howard

Born in 1867 at Lunnenburg, N.S. and in 1896 married Sarah Jane Robertson, who was born in Scotland. They had four children. Egerton homesteaded at Nose Creek. He went to Lacombe in 1892 and farmed until 1900. He had a Hardware and Implement Agency at Castor, Alberta. At Calgary in1887

Matkin, Henry

Henry was born in Utah, U.S.A. and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1968. He married Mildred, who died in 1952. They had a family of 13 children. Henry settled in Cardston, and then ranched and farmed at Leavitt, Alberta until retiring in 1942. He moved to Calgary in 1953. At Cardston in 1887

Matkin, Samuel

Samuel was born in 1850 in England and died in 1904 at Cardston. He married Lena Anderson, who was born in Denmark in 1860 and died at Cardston in 1914. In 1887 moved his family to Cardston, and homesteaded 160 acres of land on the St. Mary's river. He freighted between Cardston and Lethbridge for H.S. Allen Co. and the Cardston Co-operative Co. There were seven children in the family. Samuel was at Cardston in 1887.

Maunsell, Edward Herbert

Edward was born in Limerick, Ireland and died in 1923 at Lethbridge, Alberta. He was married in 1886 at Limerick, to Jeanette Ryan, who was born in 1856 at Tipperary, Ireland, and died at Fort Macleod in 1933. Edward joined the N.W.M.P. in 1874 and was in the famous march west. He returned to Fort Dufferin with Col. French and was at the signing of the Blackfoot Treaty No.7. He later homesteaded with his brothers, George and Harry at Fort Macleod. There were three children in their family. Edward Maunsell was at Fort Macleod in 1874.

Maunsell, George

Born in 1847 at Limerick, Ireland and died in 1920 at Fort Macleod, Alberta. In 1884 at Limerick, he married Isabella Lidwell, who was born in 1847 in Ireland and died in 1932 at Fort Macleod. They had three children. George came to Fort Macleod and joined the N.W.M.P. in 1875- completing his term in 1878, homesteaded with his brother, west of Fort Macleod. At Fort Macleod -1875-76

Maunsell, Henry Frederick (Harry)

Born in 1859 at Limerick, Ireland and died in 1951 at Fort Macleod, Alberta. In 1886 at Lethbridge, he married Mary Adelaede Townley, who was born in England in 1861 and died in 1957 at Fort Macleod, Alberta. There were three children in the family. Henry ranched with his brothers George and Edward west of Fort Macleod. At Fort Macleod in 1881

Maxfield, Elizabeth Ann

Elizabeth was born at Warwick Village, Lambton County, Ontario, where she came from with her father to visit a brother, who was a Government Clerk at the Peigan Indian Reserve. She was married in 1890 to Sam Dunbar. He died in 1905. There was no family. Sam and Elizabeth homesteaded, then went to the Pacific Coast. They returned and lived on the o1d Robert Dunbar Ranch. After the death of her husband she operated a boarding house for workers of the railroad between Lethbridge and Fort Macleod. At Fort Macleod in 1889

May, Col Ernest Gundy

Col. May died at Calgary, Alberta in 1948. He was married in 1888 at Calgary, to Eliza May Paice, who died in 1929. There were three children in the family. Ernest came to Calgary in 1886 and operated a photography business with his cousin, W.H. Boorne (Boorne and May). He was an acting clerk of the Supreme Court under Judge Rouleau. He ranched two miles west of Calgary on "Stanford Ranch" in 1889.

May, James

Born in England and died in 1910 at Cardston, Alberta. He was married in 1877 in Utah, U.S. A. to Roda A. Long. They had 11 children. James May was at Cardston in 1888

Mayhood, Samuel Harrison

Samuel was born in 1846 at Napanee, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1941. He was married to Mary Maria Bennett, who was born in 1848 at Bude, Cornwall, England and died in 1930 at Calgary. They had a family of four children. Samuel ranched 15 miles out of Calgary in the Simons Valley district in 1889.

McAbee, Beatrice

Beatrice came to Sheep Creek in 1887 from British Columbia with a sister and four brothers. She married Sam Howe.

McAbee, Edward

Edward came to Sheep Creek in 1887 from British Columbia with his three brothers and two sisters. He was a good horseman and became a jockey for Tom Lynch. He rode Grey Eagle to fame and later bought the horse. He also owned Grand Master. He frequented race meets.

McAbee, George

George came to Sheep Creek in 1887 from British Columbia with his three brothers and two sisters. He was employed by B. Van Volkenburg, a west coast beef buyer, to look after his cattle ranging from the Sheep Creek to the Highwood River.

McAbee, John

John came to Sheep Creek in 1887 from British Columbia with his three brothers and two sisters. He practised dentistry in Calgary for awhile and then moved to Golden, B.C.

McAbee, Mark

Mark came to Sheep Creek in 1887 from British Columbia with his three brothers and two sisters. He worked for some years as a cowboy for the Quorn ranch, then returned to B.C. where he married. His wife's family ran cattle along the Thompson river. He was later seen by Billie Henry in the Klondike during the Cold Rush.

McAbee, Minnie

Minnie came to Sheep Creek in 1887 from British Columbia with a sister and four brothers. She married Frank Watt and died one year later.

McAra, John Duncan

John was born in 1870 at Edinburgh, Scotland. He came to Calgary in 1890. He married Annie Jane Craig in 1896 at Qu'Appelle. They had four children, three sons and a daughter.

McArthur, Alexander

Alexander was born in 1865 at Pictou, Nova Scotia. His wife's name was Mary. They had one son. Alexander died at Canoe Flats, B.C. in 1933. He came to Calgary in 1886.

McArthur, Amelia (Livingston)

Millie was born in 1857 at Pictou, Nova Scotia and came west to be with her sister, Mrs. Tom Edworthy and her brother Edward in 1890. She married George Livingston, eldest son of Sam Livingston, on August 22, 1894. They ranched at Bragg Creek. George died in 1927 and Millie in 1931 at Calgary. There was one son, Arthur.

McArthur, Archibald John

Archibald was born in 1857 at Isle of lona, Scotland. He came to Calgary in 1887. He started the Crescent Heights residential district in 1895. He was elected to the Provincial Legislature in 1910. He married Katherine McConnel in 1892 at Calgary. They had two sons. He was a deacon of the First Baptist Church and a member of the Board of Directors of the Y.M.C.A. He died in 1911 at Calgary, Alberta.

McArthur, Duncan

Duncan was born in 1856 at Caledon, Ontario. He came to Calgary in 1884. In 1886 he married Catherine McBeth who came to Calgary in 1884. They had two sons and one daughter. Duncan died at Edmonton in 1916.

McArthur, Edward

Edward was born at Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1866. He moved to Winnipeg in 1880 and in 1883 came to Calgary. He worked for the Bar U Ranch as a Night Wrangler. He became a livestock trader. He participated in the Yukon Cold Rush, returning to the prairies to start a ranch near Val Marie. He moved to Virginia, U.S.A. for a spell, ranched south of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, where he was dried out and then finally returned to Ribstone Creek near Metiskow, in 1918. He was married twice but had no children. He died at Czar, Alberta in 1936. Mrs. Tom Edworthy was his sister.

McAuley, N.W.

Mr. and Mrs. McAuley were in Lethbridge in 1885.

McBride, Alexander

Alexander came to Calgary in 1886. He was married and had six children: Edward, Frank, Norman, James, Ella Rashbrook and Carrie Stoddard. He operated a hardware business in Calgary and then went south to Fort Steele, Cranbrook and north to Red Deer. The Calgary store was Calgary's first hardware store and was located on Stephen Avenue where the Glenbow Museum now stands. He served for many years on the Town Council and was Mayor of Calgary in 1896. Alex had a sincere interest in the development of the Central Methodist Church in Calgary, serving from the time of its original conception to its permanent location on the corner of 7th Avenue and 1st Street S.W. His son, Edward, took over his father's business. Alexander died in Galt, Ontario in 1912.

Submitted by Jack McBride

McBride, Donald

Donald was born in Ontario. He married Elizabeth Zeigal in 1880 at Singhampton, Ontario. They had 13 children, four sons and nine daughters. He homesteaded at Davisburg, Alberta after coming west on or before 1890. He died at Irricana, Alberta in 1924.

McCabe, Frank

Frank came to Banff in 1884 as a Section Foreman with W.H. McCardell, and founded the Cave and Basin Swimming Pool.

McCaffary, John

Mr. McCaffary was born in 1871 at Glasgow, Scotland. He came to the North West Territories and then to Calgary where he worked for the Calgary Herald until 1896. He bought the bankrupt Alberta Tribune from which he developed the Albertan Publishing Co. and with Mr. Davidson, the Calgary Albertan. John left publishing to work in the sherriff's office in the early 1900's. He married Alice Loretta McGarry in 1902 at Perth Ontario. They had three daughters and two sons. John died at Calgary in 1939.

Submitted by Edweena Mair

McCaffery, John

Mr. McCaffery was a surveyor with the C.P.R. He came with his crew in 1882 and worked west of Calgary to the mountains. In October, 1883 he was a signator on the Proclaimation of Calgary becoming a town.

McCallum, Archie

Mr. Archibald McCallum was born in Ontario and died in 1936 at Calgary. He arrived in the High River area in 1886 and worked as foreman of the 'CC' ranch in 1894, and later foreman for A.E. Cross. In 1920 he settled on land near Airdrie.

McCallum, Duncan

Duncan McCallum was born at Martintown, Ontario and died in 1900. He was a freighter carrying supplies from Regina to Prince Albert during the Riel Rebellion. He came to Willow Creek in 1888 and established the Highland Ranch.

McCardell, William

William McCardell was born in 1864 at Stratford Ontario. He came to Banff, in 1883. He married Elizabeth Anne Spencer at Banff in 1890. They had two sons and four daughters. William worked for the Department of Muncipal Affairs in Edmonton then as a contractor at Banff and Calgary. He died in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1944.

McCarthy, Peter

Peter was born in 1839 at Niagara, Ontario. He was married twice, his first wife was Carrie Kemp of Niagara (1870) and his second, Jane Kemp (1876) also of Niagara. John had six children, four daughters and two sons. He came to Calgary in 1886. He worked for the Herald Publishing Co. in 1888 and became a member of the Lougheed & McCarthy law firm in 1889. He died in Calgary, Alberta in 1901.

McCartin, Phillip (Mac)

Mac was born in 1849 at Jamestown, Ontario. He came to Fort Macleod as a member of a Survey Party in 1882. He moved to Mountain in 1885 where he became a farmer and rancher until 1904. He moved back to Fort Macleod and worked for the I.G. Baker Co. which was bought out by the Maunsell Bros., then by Franklin and finally by Pat Burns. Mac married Mary Horan and with her had nine children. Seven daughters survived. He was a town councillor at Fort Macleod. He died at Fort Macleod in 1929.

McCaugherty, William Thomas

William Thomas arrived at Calgary in 1884 and went to Lethbridge in 1888. He was born in Kingston, Ontario in 1858 and died 1939 in Lethbridge. He married Jessie Davis who was born in 1874 in England and died in 1912. In the early days he ranched and freighted. During the Riel Rebellion he transported soldiers and freight between Calgary and Edmonton. He built a home in Lethbridge and homesteaded.

McCaul, Charles Coursolles

Charles was born in 1858 at Toronto, Ontario. He married Francis Greenwood and had a son and a daughter. He was admitted to the Bar in Ontario in 1883 and came to Fort Macleod that year. He practiced law in Fort Macleod, Lethbridge and Calgary until 1899, then in Dawson City 1899-1902, Vancouver 1902-1905, and after 1907 in Edmonton, Alberta.

McConnell, Arthur James (Mac)

Mac was born in 1877 at Pembrooke, Ontario. He came to Medicine Hat in 1885 with his uncle, Joseph McConnell. He was a cow puncher from 1893 to 1901 in the Cypress Hills. He homesteaded near Raddison in the early 1900s. He was married twice, firstly to Rose Edith Burgess with whom he had six children, four daughters and two sons; and secondly, when Rose died in 1935, to Helen Freisen, with whom he had a daughter, who died three days after birth. After 1913, the family moved to the Bearberry area of Alberta. From 1927 to 1929 they lived in Calgary where Mac was a carpenter. After that he lived in the Bearberry/Sundre area building and selling houses until his death in 1954 at Olds, Alberta.

McConnell, Joseph

Joseph came to Medicine Hat in 1885.

McConnell, Joshua Orrin

Joshua was born at Landsdowne, Ontario in 1858. He married May Metzler of Peterborough, Ontario at Chrysler, Ontario in 1883. They had a son and a daughter. The family moved to Shepard, Alberta in 1889. He homesteaded the SE - 30-23-28-W4th. Joshua died at Calgary, Alberta in 1915.

McConnell, Samuel Duncan

Samuel farmed outside of Red Deer after his family moved there in 1899. He had three daughters. Sam died in 1970 at Red Deer, Alberta. At Shepard, in 1889.

McCrea, Robert Richmond

Robert was born in 1862 at Richmond, Ontario. He came to Fort Macleod in 1888 and joined with his brother, Samuel, in 1890 to operate a blacksmith shop at Fort Macleod. He married Ellen Bremner in 1891 at Manotick, Ontario. He later had four sons and two daughters. He farmed in the Rathwell district until his retirement. He died at Fort Macleod in 1935.

McCrae, Samuel

Samuel McCrae was born in 1858 at Richmond, Ontario. He was with the NWMP 1878 to 1881 and 1887 to 1890. He married Sophia Shillington in 1881/82 at Blenheim, Ontario with whom he had three daughters and two sons. He joined his brother, Robert, in 1890 to operate a blacksmith shop at Fort Macleod. He worked as a blacksmith until 1929 when he retired. He died at Fort Macleod in 1937.

McCrea, T.H.

T.H. McCrea came to the Calgary area in 1890 where he farmed until he retired at Calgary, Alberta.

McCrimmon, Malcolm

Malcolm was born at Woodville, Ontario. He married Flora McArthur in 1882 at Winnipeg, Manitoba. He worked on the International Boundary Survey from 1883 to 1885 and as a contractor on the main line of the C.P.R. Two sons and two daughters were born in Winnipeg during the period 1883 to 1889. On completion of the branches to Edmonton and Fort Macleod he hauled coal from Knee Hill Valley to Calgary. Malcolm and Flora had two more daughters at Calgary. In 1901 he moved to Edmonton to work on the Canadian Northern Railway. He was at Calgary in 1890.

McCue, Robert

Robert was born at Mount Elgin, Ontario in 1865. He married Louise Eleanor Mathews in 1890 and came to Calgary, in 1890. He built a house and worked for the city. In 1891 he moved to Bowden, taking up a homestead nearby. In 1895 he founded a creamery. He and Louise raised three daughters and a son. Robert was Chairman of the Local Improvement District for seven years and Chairman of the School Board for five years.

McCutcheon, Robert

Robert was born in 1852 at Cornwall, Ontario. He joined the N.W.M.P. in 1875 at Cornwall and came with them via Fort Benton to Fort Macleod. He was stationed at Fort Walsh and Medicine Hat during 1882-1893. He married Angeline Gaddy at Fort Walsh. They had six daughters and two sons. While in Medicine Hat he was with the city's maintenance department for 10 years before his retirement in 1935 when he moved to Calgary. He died in 1944 at Calgary, Alberta.

McDermid, Malcolm

Malcolm was born at Martintown, Ontario in 1852 and died in 1908. He left for the west in 1881 and worked for a time in the lumber yards around Rat Portage. He came to the foothills country in 1888, establishing Highland Ranch on the north fork of Willow Creek. His brother Hugh and sister-in-law Florence came to live with him in 1900. In 1904 Dan joined the partnership. Church services were held in their home. They raised black Percherons and their brand became known as a mark of quality. Malcolm was killed in the hayfield by a team of colts on a mower in 1908. At North Fork Willow Creek in 1888.

McDonald, Angus William

Angus William was born in 1831 at Airsaig, Invernesshire, Scotland and died in 1927 at Cochrane, Alberta. He married Joanna Francis Gillies, who was born in 1836 at Glenfinnan, Scotland and died in 1912 at Cochrane, Alberta. They were married in Scotland, Joanna came to Cochrane in 1886. They had six children. Angus had a sheep ranch in the Ghost River area and founded the Glenfinnan Ranch in 1881. He remained on the Ghost River until his death. At Ghost River in 1881.

McDonald, Dr. George

Dr. McDonald was born in 1863 at Aberdeen, Scotland and died in 1933 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married at Charlottetown, P.E.I. in 1894 to Mary Macleod, who was born at Charlottetown in 1864 and died at Calgary in 1929. They had two children, Flora and Norma. George came to Canada at six years of age, received his education at Montreal, Quebec and Renfrew, Ontario. He had various types of employment before going to McGill University, where he received his degree in Medicine. In 1889 he was a surgeon on the Calgary-Edmonton C.N.R. line, then worked in the City Health Office in Calgary for 11 years.

McDonald, Jack

Jack was born in 1866 at Beechfull, Quebec. He was a farmer and a Round-Up Cook. At Priddis in 1886.

McDonald, Robert Charles (Scotty)

Scotty McDonald was employed at The Stewart Ranch in 1884 at Pincher Creek. Scotty married Bridget Ann Dowser, daughter of William and Bridget Dowser. The Dowser family operated a hotel in Blairmore, Alberta. They were related to the Drake family who owned the Drake Hotel in Chicago. There were two children in the family. Margaret Ann married Christopher Murphy. Robert MacDonald came to Alberta in 1880.

McDonnell, A.E.C.

A. McDonnell came to Lethbridge in 1881. Marguerite McDonnell (formerly Marguerite de Bellefeuille) arrived in 1885.

McDonnell, A.R.

Mr. and Mrs. McDonnell came to Calgary in 1890.

McDougall, Alexander Peter

Alexander McDougall was born at Lancaster, Ontario and died at the age of 87. In 1895 at High River, he was married to Jane Sexsmith, who was born in 1875 at Hull, Quebec and died in 1909 at High River, Alberta. They had two children. Alexander came to High River in 1890 and homesteaded on what was later known as the Gavin Findlay Ranch. After the death of his wife, he sold his farm and worked for ranchers in the area.

McDougall, David

David McDougall was born at Owen Sound, Ontario in 1845 and died at Calgary in 1927. In 1871 at Burnside, Manitoba, he married Annie McKenzie who was born at Puslinch, Ontario in 1850 and died in 1939 at Albany, New York. They had a family of five children. David McDougall came to Fort Victoria, NWT in 1863 with his family. His father, the Rev. George McDougall, was a pioneer Methodist missionary. When the Morleyville mission was established in 1873, David McDougall brought what is believed to be the first herd of cattle to southern Alberta. He established a trading post at Morleyville, and supplied cattle to C.P.R. survey parties, and later to construction crews. He homesteaded on land in Grand Valley, northwest of Cochrane. He and his wife later moved to Banff where he built the Mt. Royal Hotel and several other commercial and residential properties. Moving to Calgary, he built the David Block and the McDougall Block as well as other commercial and residential properties. He participated in the Turner Valley oil development, and was active in civic affairs.

McDougall, Rev. George Millward

Rev. George McDougall was born at Kingston in 1821. He married Elizabeth Chantler in Tollendale, Ontario in 1842. As a young man, Rev. McDougall settled in Owen Sound, Ontario. He entered the Methodist ministry in 1848 and after serving at several mission sites in Ontario and Manitoba, was posted to Fort Victoria, N.W.T. He and his family arrived at the post in 1863. Within a year he reestablished a mission at Pigeon Lake on the site of the Rev. Rundle's earlier mission. His son John stayed at Pigeon Lake and ministered to the Stoney Indians in the area. In 1872 Rev. George and his son John extended their missionary work to what is now Southern Alberta. A mission was established on the Bow River and called Morleyville. In January of 1876 on a hunting trip to obtain much-needed meat for the mission, the Rev. George McDougall became separated from his party in the Nose Hill area. A prairie blizzard slowed the search for him and his body was not recovered for 14 days. It is believed he died of a heart attack. The Rev. George McDougall played a large part in preparing the way for peaceful settlement of the plains. His vision and dedication in the face of severe hardships has earned him a unique place in the annals of history.

McDougall, John Sr.

John McDougall was born in 1833 and died in 1908. He married Ann Carney who was born in 1847 and died in 1914. They had 11 children. Son Mathew came to Calgary in 1889; in 1891 he returned east and brought his parents and other members of the family to his homestead two miles west of Langdon.

McDougall, Rev. John Chantler

Rev. John McDougall was born at Owen Sound, Ontario in 1842 and died at Calgary in 1917. In 1865 at Whitefish Lake, he married Abigail Steinhauer, who was born at Whitefish Lake and died at Fort Victoria in a small pox epidemic in 1871. In 1872 at Cape Riche, Ontario, he married Elizabeth Ann Boyd, who was born at Meaford in 1854 and died at Calgary in 1941. There were three children from the first marriage and six from the second. John came to Alberta with his father, Rev. George McDougall in 1862. He was ordained as minister in the Methodist Church and worked with his father in Fort Victoria, then reopened the mission at Pigeon Lake which was originally established by Rev. Rundle. He and his father then established a mission at Morley in 1872. His knowledge of the Indian language and his rapport with the native peoples led to his appointment by the Federal Government to the post of Special Commissioner to the Indians. His work contributed greatly to the peaceful settlement of the country. Rev. John McDougall wrote many books on his work and travels in Western Canada.

McDougall, William Chisholm

William McDougall was born in 1864 at Lancaster, Ontario and died in 1949 at High River, Alberta. He was married in 1894 at High River to Ellen Jane Findlay, who was born in 1876 in Ontario, and died in 1934 at High River, Alberta. They had a family of seven children. William left Ontario in 1883 and worked his way west via San Francisco to Port Moody, B.C. where he worked in logging camps. In 1886 he came to High River, Alberta and homesteaded. He was on the first Council in High River, as well as being a member of the School Board for many years. Ellen Jane came to Calgary in 1883-84.

McEachen, Donald

Donald was born in 1858 in south Uist, Scotland and died in 1930 at Calgary, Alberta. In 1888 at Calgary he was married to Marjorie McDonald, who was born in 1862 at Glennig, Scotland and died in 1934 at Cochrane, Alberta. They had a family of five children. Donald was an early rancher and is credited for the naming of Grand Valley district. At Calgary in 1887.

McEachern, Dr. Duncan McNab

Duncan was born on the 27th of October, 1841 in Campbellton Argyle, Scotland and died on the 13th of October, 1924 at Ormiston, Quebec. He married Esther Plaskett in 1868. He graduated from Edinburgh Veterinary College in 1861 and came to Canada shortly afterwards. He was Chief Inspector of Livestock for western Canada for 1876-1902. In 1882-83 he was General Manager of the Waldron Ranch.

McElroy, George Morton

George was born in Dundas County, Ontario in 1870 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1935. In 1913 at Calgary, he was married to Davina Morton, who was born in Dundee, Scotland in 1884. There were three children in the family. George came to the Chestermere Lake area in the spring of 1890, where he homesteaded the NE 1/4-26-24-28-W4th. In 1909 he bought the remainder of Section 26 and a section in the Delacour district. In 1911 he acquired Section 35 and in 1935 bought two and one-half sections north east of Cochrane, Alberta. George was active in the community's affairs. Mrs. McElroy was well known as a pianist and singer.

McElroy, Peter

Peter was born in the U.S.A. and died at Nanton, Alberta in 1935. He was married at Chester, Montana in 1918. From 1887 to 1906 Peter was manager of the Harry Alexander 'Two Dot' ranch. He then moved to Nanton, Alberta where he purchased a livery stable and became Brand Inspector, mail carrier and Deputy Sheriff. In 1912 he sold out and returned to the 'Two Dot' Ranch until 1917. In 1921 he opened a dairy in Nanton, Alberta.

McEwan, Alexander

Alexander was born at Woodstock, Ontario in 1857 and died at Cochrane, Alberta in 1929. In 1890 he was married to Jemima Golightly, who was born in 1864 and died at Cochrane, Alberta in 1936. They had a family of five children.

McEwan, John Henry

John was born at Rawdon, Quebec in 1861 and died at Calgary in 1918. In 1894 at Calgary, he married Kate Harrison, who was born in England in 1865 and died at Calgary in 1920. They had a family of six children. John arrived in Calgary in 1883. Calgary - 1883

McEwan, Peter

Peter was born at Almonte, Ontario in 1856 and died at Cowley, Alberta in 1929. In 1894 at Pincher Creek, he married Edith Mary Sharpe, who was born in England in 1867 and died at Pincher Creek, Alberta in 1961. There were seven children from this marriage but Peter had three sons from a previous marriage.

Peter came to southern Alberta in 1877 with the N.W.M.P.

McEwing, Daniel

Daniel was born at Little Metis, Quebec in 1853 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1929. In 1882 at Greenfield, Glengarry County, Ontario he was married to Margaret Kippen, who was born in 1885 at Greenfield, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1948. There were four children in the family. Daniel was at Calgary in 1889.

McFarquhar, George

George was born at Oshawa, Ontario in 1861 and died at Fort Macleod, Alberta in 1935. In 1891 at Fort Macleod, he married Emma Rosaine, who was born in Sweden in 1870 and died at Fort Macleod in 1926. They had a family of six children. George came to Southern Alberta in 1885 and bought the contracting, wagon making, furniture and undertaking business of D.J. Quail. He built the first Methodist Church, the fair grounds, the town hall, public school, a bridge over the Old Man River as well as many residences.

McGovern, Benjaman Richard

Ben arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. He was born in 1856 in New York City and died in August of 1925. He came to manage the old Sheran mine across the river from the first coal mine to be opened up in the area. Later he took up a ranch on the Old Man River west of Lethbridge. Ben McGovern's sister was Mrs. James Sheran. He never married.

McHugh, Felix Alexander

Felix Alexander McHugh arrived in Calgary in 1883 from Ottawa. He was a pioneer rancher and contractor. Born in Ottawa in 1851, he died in Calgary in 1912. He was married in 1893 to Florence O'Dougherty. She was born in Ottawa in 1861 and died in Calgary in 1933. They had ten children, only seven of whom survived as adults. Felix McHugh brought cattle to the Calgary area by the newly completed rail link from the east. He was later joined in the cattle business by two brothers, John Joseph and Thomas Patrick.

Submitted by Catherine Kennedy

McHugh, John Joseph

John was born in Ottawa, Ontario in 1853 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1928. In 1884 at Ottawa, he married Frances Lillian Alma Bowes, who was born at Ottawa in 1864 and died at Calgary in 1939. There were seven children in the family. John came west as an Indian Farm Instructor. In 1881 he was manager of the Government farm, now owned by P. Burns and Company. He was appointed land agent for the Assinaboina in 1884.

McHugh, Thomas Patrick

Thomas was born in Ottawa, Ontario in 1855 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1912. He did not marry. Thomas came west in 1881 and ranched with his brothers until 1893 when he purchased a homestead at Queenstown, Alberta. In 1909 he built the Palace Hotel in Gleichen.

Mclnnes, John Francis

John was born in 1860 at Hastings County, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1943. In 1891 he married Isabell Jamison, who was born at Mono, Ontario and died at Calgary, in 1904. They had six children. John brought his family with him to Pine Creek in 1882.

McInnes, Malcolm

Malcolm was born at Walkerton, Ontario in 1856 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1943. In 1887 at Calgary, he married Katherine McArthur, who was born at Paisley, Ontario in 1860 and died at Calgary in 1932. They had a family of five children. At Calgary in 1883.

McIntosh, Angus

Angus was born at Moose Creek, Stormount County, Ontario in 1864 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1928. In 1910 he married Christina J. McNaughton, who was born at Maxville, Ontario in 1876 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1959. They raised a family of three. He was at DeWinton in 1889.

McIntosh, Charles Edgar

Charles was born in Toronto, Ontario and died at High River, Alberta in 1946. He came to the High River district in 1886. He had an early oil well on 16-18-2-W5th and also mined coal along the banks of the Highwood river. He was at Calgary in 1889.

McIntosh, Duncan S.

Duncan was born at Alexandria, Ontario in 1866 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1953. In 1896 at Fort Macleod he married Ruth Marion Dawson, who was born in Glenwood, Lincolnshire, England in 1874 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1958. They had a family of four children. Duncan came to the Porcupine Hills in 1886 where he worked with his uncle A.B. McDonald, who was manager of the 44 Ranch. Duncan became foreman of the 44 Ranch and was there until 1891 when he commenced ranching in partnership with his brother Joe. He later ranched on his own, having the L2 brand. His ranch was located in the Porcupine Hills in 1882.

McIntosh, Joseph

Joseph was born in Martintown, Ontario and died there in 1916. He was unmarried. Joe ranched with his brother, Duncan until 1895. The partnership was dissolved and he sold out in 1912 and returned to Ontario. At High River in 1888.

McIntosh, Walter Wilde

There is no record of his birthplace. He died at Calgary, Alberta in 1924. In 1892 at High River, he married Edith Emma Short, who was born at Woodstock, Ontario in 1872 and died at High River in 1964. They had seven children. Walter homesteaded in the Tongue Creek area about six miles north west of High River. He cooked for a construction crew at Banff, in 1887 and with six other men is reported to have discovered the cave at the lower sulphur springs. At Tongue Creek near High River in 1886.

McKay, Alfred S.

Alfred was born at Woodbridge, Ontario in 1860 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1940. In 1890 at Calgary, he married Catherine Hemmings, who was born at Staffordshire, England in 1869 and died at Calgary in 1908. They had seven children. Alfred was a member of the survey party which surveyed the route of the Canadian Pacific Railway from Winnipeg to the Great Divide from 1880 to 1883. He then began ranching. At Calgary in 1880.

McKay, Dan Gunn

Dan's birthplace is unknown. He died at Milk River, Alberta in 1924. He married Jane McKinnon, who was born at Westville, Nova Scotia and died at Cranbrook, B.C. in 1928. They had seven children. He came to Lethbridge in 1884 to help William Stafford to open the Galt Coal Company.

McKay, Dan Rodney

Dan came to Lethbridge in 1885. He was born in 1863 at Stellarton, Nova Scotia and died at Lethbridge in 1942. Mrs. McKay was born in 1865 and died in 1941. Her family name was Crawford. Mr. and Mrs. McKay came at the same time as his parents (father's name was D.J. McKay). They were hired by the North West Coal and Navigation Company. Dan remained with the company until 1918. He then moved to Blairmore for the rest of his life.

McKay, Daniel James

Daniel was born in Nova Scotia in 1830 and died at Lethbridge, Alberta in 1909. At Stellerton, N.S. he married Isabelle Fraser, who was born in N.S. in 1831 and died at Lethbridge, Alberta in 1910. They had a family of eight children. At Lethbridge in 1884.

McKay, Frank Kilburn

Frank was born at Frederickton, N.B. in 1875. In 1903 at Keswick Ridge, N.B. he married Edith Susan, who was born in 1879 at Keswick Ridge, N.B. They had two children: Walter and Ross. Frank worked for the C.P.R. tamping ties. He then was a clerk in the D.F. Knight store, later becoming manager for Knight and McNeil, and then purchased the business. He homesteaded in 1901. At Gleichen in 1890.

McKay, Rev. George

Rev. McKay was an Anglican missionary, who volunteered to act as a scout for the Alberta Field Force for General Strange in 1878. He served at Banff in 1887 and was in the Yukon from 1897 to 1900.

McKay, J.J.

J. McKay came to Lethbridge in 1882. He accompanied William Stafford on his first trip west from Nova Scotia to find a possible point to open a coal mine. It was decided that a drift mine would be opened at river bottom. J. McKay was the first manager under Mr. Stafford. Mrs. J. McKay (Maria) arrived at Coal Banks in 1886 with a family of six children: Mary, Joseph, Sarah, Christie, with three more children being born in Lethbridge: James, Minnie and Jennie.

McKenzie, Alexander

Alexander was a broker with headquarters at Calgary, in 1890.

McKenzie, Benjamin

Benjamin McKenzie was born at Headingly, Manitoba in 1839 and died at Red Deer in 1889. He married Ann Omand, who was a niece of Magnus Brown. She died at Red Deer on the 22nd of January, 1892. Benjamin worked and farmed with his brother, Roderick and David. The McKenzie brothers also searched for coal along the Red Deer river in 1883.

Researched by Flora Eagleson, May 1992

McKenzie, David

David was born in 1843 at Headingly, Manitoba. In 1883 he and his brother Benjamin accompanied Roderick to Red Deer. David was in charge of the McKenzie sawmill that was located at the mouth of the Blindman River in 1884. He was given the contract to build a bridge at Red Deer in 1893 and one over the Pipestone river in 1899. David never married.

Researched by Flora Eagleson, May 1992

McKenzie, Edward

Edward came to Lethbridge in 1885. Ed was born in 1864 and died in 1958. He was the son of a Maritime sea captain from Pictou Nova Scotia. He married Elizabeth Munroe in 1888. Elizabeth was born in Spring Hill, Nova Scotia and came with her family in 1885 to Lethbridge. She died in 1929. Ed found employment with the North West Coal and Navigation Company. In 1887 he started a dairy farm where Hardieville is now located. Later he took up ranching at Kipp Coulee. In 1904 he moved to an irrigated farm. They had four children: May, Leonard, Wilbur and Gordon.

McKenzie, J.R.

A Calgary representative in the Branch of Empire Brewing, at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. He was in Calgary, working in 1885. Reference - Calgary Herald, 7 November, 1888.

McKenzie, Malcolm Henry

Malcolm came to Lethbridge in 1885. He died October 29,1947. He married Emily Pearl Wood who came west in 1882.

McKenzie, Roderick

Roderick McKenzie came to Red Deer in 1882 and operated the first sawmill but there were many obstacles to contend with such as floods. He was born on March 13, 1848 at Headingly, Manitoba. He left Headingly in 1882 with Magnus Brown and William Beachemin for Edmonton and Red Deer. He returned to Manitoba and brought his two brothers David and Benjamin as well as other families west with him in 1883. He freighted between Calgary and Edmonton. In 1888 the Department of Interior closed the sawmill and he moved to the west side of Beaver Lake, southeast of Edmonton. He then went to the Yukon Gold Rush. Roderick married Harriet Cook, daughter of Jeremiah Cook.

Researched by Flora Eagleson, May 1992

McKernan, James

At Fort Macleod, 1874; and Calgary, 1875.

McKevitt, James Francis

James was born in 1862 at Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, Ireland and died at Midnapore, Alberta in 1930. He married Julia Agatha Kiely, who was born in 1870 at Lismire, County Cork, Ireland and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1923. There were twelve children from this marriage. James arrived at Midnapore in 1883. The name of his farm was 'Shamrock Hill'.

McKillop, Archie

Archie was a distributor of boots and shoes in Calgary, in 1886.

McKillop, Rev. Charles W.

Charles was born at Campsie, Scotland in 1848 and died at Lethbridge, Alberta in 1907. In 1881 at Arnprior, Ontario he married Elizabeth Ferguson Fisher, who was born at White Lake, Renfrew County, Ontario in 1858 and died at Lethbridge, Alberta in 1938. There were eight children in the family. Charles came to Lethbridge in 1886 and served as a Presbyterian minister for 18 years.

McKinnon, Lachlan

Lachlan was born at Priceville, Ontario in 1865 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1948. In 1893 at Calgary, he married Sara Whitney, who was born at Collingwood, Ontario in 1875 and died at Calgary in 1959. They raised a family of 13 children. Lachlan's first job in the west was a 'choreboy' for General Strange, who was manager of the Military Colonization Company ranch. He worked for the Eau Claire Lumber Company and ranched for himself and his large family. The LK Ranch was located near Dalemead, Alberta. Mr. McKinnon was at Calgary in 1886.

McLaren, Peter

Peter came to Fort Macleod in 1887. He operated a sawmill on the Old Man River, near Fort Macleod. He was subsequently appointed a Senator.

McLaren, Robert

Robert came to Calgary in 1890 and was involved in the Cartage and Storage business.

McLaren, Willam John

William came to Calgary in 1889. He was born at Oshawa, Ontario in 1874 and died at Calgary in 1933. In 1901 at Calgary he married Jennie Adair. They had six children, four daughters and two sons.

McLaughlin, John Wesley (Shorty)

John was born at Goderich, Ontario and died at High River in 1929. He came to Calgary in 1885 as a C.P.R. worker. He moved to Pine Creek, on the Macleod Trail and operated a Stopping Place. John married a school teacher, who had come west from Ingersol, Ontario, on or about 1890. They raised five children, four daughters and one son. John later purchased the French and Smith place, a mile west of the High River Crossing. He traded in horses and cattle and raised race horses. Later on he grew grain.

McLaughlin, Neil

Mr. and Mrs. Neil McLaughlin came to Calgary in 1890. Neil was a fireman. He was born at Princeville, Ontario and died at Calgary. He married Mary Ann Mclnnis, aiso from Princeville. They raised three children, two daughters and one son.

McLean, Hon. Archibald J.

Archibald McLean was born in 1860 at Aldboro, Elgin County, Ontario. He moved to Manitoba in 1881, farming at Burton until coming to Lethbridge in 1887. He established a horse and cattle ranch at Taber. In 1904 he married Margaret Duncan from Hamilton, Ontario. In 1909 Archibald was elected a member of the Legislative Assembly for Lethbridge and was appointed Provincial Secretary in 1910. He was one of the 'Big 4' who sponsored the first Calgary Stampede. Mr. McLean died in 1933 at Taber.

McLean, James

Mr. McLean came to the Cheadle area in 1883 and farmed.

McLean, John Donald

John was born in New Brunswick in 1863 and died at Calgary in 1933. He came to Calgary in1883. He married Anna Olstad in 1903 at Calgary. They had one daughter.

McLeary, Philip

Philip McLeary came to Lethbridge in 1890 and worked for a lumber dealer. He was also involved in ranching and oil well drilling. He married Margaret Agnes North, from Guelph, Ontario in 1897 at Medicine Hat. They raised two daughters and one son. Philip won several ribbons for the Lethbridge Lacrosse Club, one for a match between Calgary and Lethbridge. Philip was born in 1868 at Watford, Ontario and died at Irvine, Alberta in 1924.

McLellan, Robert (Bob)

(see also detailed post-publication Ellis family profile for photo of Robert's son, Alexander and wife Martha Ellis)

Robert McLellan came to Red Deer to visit A. McPherson in 1882. He filed the first homestead in the Red Deer area in 1883, the same year he operated a Stopping House at the Crossing. His brother died at Saugatuch, Michigan, so his widow came to Red Deer with her four small children and married Bob. During the Rebellion he drove an ammunition wagon and after, constructed the George C. King store as well as others. He was very active in the affairs at the Crossing in the early years. He went to the Peace River area when the decision was made not to build the village of Red Deer at the Crossing.

Researched by Flora Eagleson, May 1992

McLeod, Alexander

Alexander was born in Scotland. From there he went to Meaford, Grey County, Ontario. He married Sarah Algar in 1852 at Glengarry County, Ontario. They came to the Okotoks/Aldersyde area to farm in 1889. They had nine children, five sons and four daughters. He died at Okotoks in 1902.

McLeod, Edward Stone

Edward was born at Collingwood, Ontario in 1860. He came to Calgary in 1889 and filed a homestead claim and pre-exemption on the N1/2 10-20-29-W4th, situated near Okotoks, where he remained until his death in 1942. He married Irene Mitchell, of Ottawa, Ontario at Calgary in 1900. They had four children, three sons and a daughter. He hauled the first crop of oats to the N.W.M.P. at Fort Macleod, 83 miles south of Okotoks. He bought the first binder and first threshing machine south of Sheep Creek.

McLeod, Hugh Patterson

Hugh came to Calgary in 1888 where he died in 1950.

McLeod, Hugh S.

Hugh was born in Ontario in 1860. He came to Calgary in 1884. He married Mary Elizabeth Grierson in 1896 at Calgary. They had three children, two sons and a daughter. Hugh was proprietor of the Grand Hotel (built by his uncle) and later built the New Grand Central Hotel on 9th Avenue in Calgary.

McLeod, Rev. J.

Rev. J. McLeod was a Methodist minister at Banff in 1887.

McLeod, Willlam

Mr. and Mrs. McLeod came to Calgary in 1884 where they raised two daughters. William was born in Scotland and died at Calgary in 1901. He married Mary Morrison at Edinburgh, Scotland.

McMillan, Charles Wilfred

Charles McMillan was born at Erin, Ontario in 1863. He came to Calgary in 1886 and was one of the organizers of Calgary Brewing and Malting Company Limited along with A.E. Cross and others. He was treasurer until he retired in 1933. He married Elma E. James in 1896 at Calgary. They had three daughters. Charles was a member of the Kiwanis, Renfrew, Glencoe and Calgary Golf and Country Clubs. He was one of the earliest Presidents of the Alberta Motor Association.

McMurty, James H.

James was drowned in the Hot Springs at Banff in 1888.

McNab, James

James was born in 1833 at Dublin, Ireland. He married Elizabeth Burgess at Ballinnole, Ireland in 1861. James and Elizabeth McNab came to Ottawa, Ontario in 1870 and in 1885 came to Fort Macleod area to join their sons Robert and William, who had settled at Fort Macleod in 1883. James and Elizabeth had four sons, all of whom were born in Ireland. James died at Fort Macleod in 1912.

McNabb, David Preston

David came to Lethbridge in 1883. He was a C.P.R. engineer. He was born in Ontario in 1865 and died at Calgary in 1938. David married Isobel Innis of Quebec City in 1890 at Lethbridge. They had seven children, four daughters and three sons.

McNabb, Thomas Miffin

Mr. and Mrs. McNabb arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. Born in 1849 at Belleville, Ontario, Thomas died in 1929 at Lethbridge. Mrs. Sarah McNabb was born in 1861 in Ontario and died in 1933. Tom was employed as a master mechanic with the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Company for 25 years. He was a member of the Town Council and Mayor of Lethbridge. He was also a Mason, serving as Past Grand Master. There were seven children in the family, five boys and two girls.

McNabb W.H.

W. H. McNabb came to Lethbridge in 1883. His wife, Ida McNabb arrived in 1885. She was Ida May Glass before her marriage.

McNamee, Robert John

Robert was born at Badwolf, Ontario in 1865. He came to Cochrane, in 1887. He married Catherine May Bruce at Cochrane in 1891. They had 12 children, seven sons and five daughters, one of whom died in infancy. Robert died at Cochrane in 1935.

McNeil, Edward

Edward was born in 1860 at Bristol, Quebec. He married Sadie Hubbard in 1890. They had two daughters and two sons. Edward was a farm instructor at Crooked Creek Indian Reserve from 1885-1892 and at the Blood Indian Reserve from 1892-1896. He purchased a small store and post office on the north shore of the Belly river which he operated until 1941. Sadie continued to operate the business until 1963.

McNeil, Malcolm P.

Malcolm came to Calgary in 1883 and was a Dominion Fruit Inspector.

McNeill, Hugh

Hugh was born at Colonsay, Scotland in 1846. He married Sarah McGilvary in 1883. Two sons were born at Ellersley, Ontario. Hugh and Sarah McNeill came to Calgary in 1887. They had four more children, three daughters and one more son. Hugh died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1921.

McNeill, John

John was born at Stellerton, Nova Scotia. He married Margaret McBain at Stellerton. John came to Lethbridge and walked to Cochrane, establishing a home at Mitford. He returned east and brought out his wife and two children in 1886. They then had three more children. In all, there were two sons and three daughters. John died at Cochrane.

McNeill, John C.

John was born at Kincardine, Ontario in 1866. He was married twice. His first wife was Minnie, the second Clara Sprague. He had two sons and one daughter. His son Leishman was secretary of the Southern Alberta Pioneers for many years and wrote 'Tales of the Old Town'. John was a carpenter and later a contractor. He is credited with building McDougall School and Knox United Church in Calgary. He was the first pavement contractor in Calgary. The first avenues paved were 13th and 14th between 1st Street and 4th Street S.W. John McNeill died at Calgary in 1941.

McPhail, Donald

Donald was born in Ontario. He was married in 1888 at Perth, Ontario. He came to Fort Macleod in 1889 as Manager of the McLaren Lumber Company. The family moved to the west coast in 1908.

McPherson, Addison

Addison is believed to have settled at the confluence of the Bow and Highwood Rivers in 1872, having come from Pennsylvania or New York State. He married a Cree woman. Addison ran a Trading Post which he sold to Alexander Begg. He moved to Black Diamond and Turner Valley where he operated a coal mine. He sold everything to drill for oil and was unsuccessful. He spent his later years at the south fork of Sheep Creek.

McPherson, Joseph

Joseph was born at Aberdeen, Scotland in 1833. He married Jane McIntosh also from Aberdeen in 1856. Mr. and Mrs. McPherson came to Canada, settling first at Carluke, Ontario where their six children - three sons and three daughters - were born between 1863 and 1872. The family came to Calgary in 1883. Joseph died at Calgary in 1913.

McPherson, Thomas

The McPhersons came to Lethbridge in 1885 from Ontario where Thomas had learned engineering and had operated a steamboat between Portage la Prairie and Winnipeg. After arriving at Coal Banks, he became the engineer on the Old Alberta of the North West Coal Company, plying the waters between Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. Thomas drove the locomotive of the first train to arrive in Lethbridge. He continued as engineer for the Galt interests until 1890, when he and his family moved to the United States.

McRae, Alexander

Alexander was born in 1845. His wife was Ann Cameron, daughter of Kenneth Cameron, who came to the area in 1883. Alexander homesteaded at Okotoks. He worked at carpentry, was Registrar of Records and a Magistrate for many years. He came to the Sheep Creek area in 1880.

McRae, Hector

Hector homesteaded at Sheep Creek in the early 1800s. He moved to the Yukon in 1898 with his brother Dan. Hector retired to North Vancouver and later moved to Winnipeg to live with his sister until his death.

McTavish, Adam Robson

Adam was born at Perth, Ontario in 1856. He married Margaret Jane Delorme in 1883 at Eganville, Ontario. Adam and Margaret had two daughters who were born at Renfrew, Ontario in 1884 and 1886. Adam came to Calgary in 1886, Margaret and the children followed in 1888. Another daughter and son were born at Calgary. Adam and his brother Alexander Steadman McTavish established one of the first blacksmith shops in Calgary; located on Stephen Avenue at 2nd Street South East. Adam and Margaret McTavish assisted in establishing the first little Knox Presbyterian Church. He built the McTavish Block on 2nd Street South East. Mr. McTavish died at Calgary in 1923.

McTavish, Alexander Steadman

Alexander was born at Renfrew, Ontario in 1861. He came to Calgary in 1882. He worked on a Government Survey party north of Regina and then on the construction of the C.P.R. at Beavermouth and other points in the Rockies. He and his brother Adam Robson McTavish established one of the first blacksmith shops located on Stephen Avenue and 2nd Street S.E. He married Annie Allen Cooper at Calgary in 1893. They raised one son and two daughters. Alexander died at Calgary in 1944.

McTavish, John S.

John was born at Renfrew, Ontario in 1867. He came to Calgary in 1887. He was the brother of Alexander Steadman and Adam Robson. He was a harness maker working for R.J. Hutchings. He hauled sandstone for the Calgary Court House. He also worked at Golden, B.C. for a couple of years. John married Jessie Jamieson in 1889. They had a son and a daughter. The McTavish's homesteaded at Lone Pine (Bowden), ranched east of Priddis and settled at Tongue Creek, Sec. 2-19-1-W5th. He was councilor and reeve of the Sheep Creek district for 30 years. He died at Calgary in 1950 and is buried at High River.

MeVettie, (no given name)

A surveyor employed by Major James Walker - he laid out the Calgary townsite in 1883.

Mead, Herbert Rimington

Herbert was born in 1859 in Bombay, India and died in 1898 at Pincher Creek. He was married in 1882 at Blackheath, England to Louisa McPherson. They divorced, and Herbert married Edith Smith, who was born in 1853 at Dalhousie, N.S. and died in 1945 at Harrow-on the-Hill, England. They had two daughters: Sybil and Doris. At Medicine Hat, Alberta in 1886.

Meehan, John (Jack)

Jack was born in 1867 at Inverness, P.Q. and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1911. He was married in 1898 at Calgary to Elizabeth LaCroix, who was born in 1873 at Sarnia, Ontario and died in 1963 at Calgary. Their children were: Richard, Marie, George, Agnes, Mary, Maizie, and Ruth. Jack was an early pioneer in the DeWinton district before 1890.

Meehan, Thomas

Thomas was born in 1873 at Inverness, P.Q. and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1929. He was married at Cluny, Alberta in 1908 to Mary Mclnenly, who was born in 1884 at Inverness, P.Q. and died in 1930 at Calgary. Their children were: Margaret, Myrtle, Harry, Joseph, and Harold. Thomas was in Calgary in 1890.

Meeres, Horace

Horace was born in 1870 in Cornwall, England and died in 1952 at Viking, Alberta. He resided at Condor, Alberta. In 1894 at Calgary he married Emily Hornett, who was born in 1876 at Warwickshire, England and died in 1952 at Red Deer, Alberta. Their children were: Theresa, Ray, Edwin, Milly, Stewart, Rose, May, Dorothy, and Alberta. Horace worked on the construction of the C & E Railway - then the waterworks department. In 1895 he homesteaded south east of Red Deer. He was a volunteer Chief of the 1st Fire Brigade in Red Deer. He served in WWI with the 187 Battalion, was wounded at Vimy Ridge, and then later became a Major. After demobilization, he worked for the Soldiers Settlement until 1919 - then farmed in the Condor district until 1929. Later he operated a store at Condor, Alberta and was in Calgary in 1888.

Meinsinger, James Madison

James was born in Tennessee, U.S.A. and died in 1894 at Calgary. He was married to Nellie, from the Snake Indian Reserve. They had two sons and two daughters. He came to the Bar U Ranch at High River Crossing in 1882. James' wife and two children arrived from Red River in 1886. He worked for many years for the Bar U Ranch, then took up land west of Charlie Knox's ranch. Meinsinger Land and Meinsinger Creek are named after him. He ranched for himself on the Eden Valley ranch and in 1894 died of pneumonia. His family returned to Montana, U.S.A

Mellon, Edward

Edward was born in 1867 in Ireland and died in 1946 at Gleichen, Alberta. He was married in 1892 at Calgary to Elizabeth Fletton, who was born in 1868 in Hong Kong, China and died in 1908 at Calgary. Their children were: Sarah, Edward, Henry, Agnes, Margaret, Thomas, Patrick, Robert, and Mary. He was in Calgary in 1885.

Messmer, George (Steamboat Bill)

George came to Fort Macleod in 1880. He was born in Sun River, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. He came west as a young man, working on the old paddle-wheelers on the Missouri River, which carried hundreds of early pioneers to Fort Benton. George was a bull wacker, handling twenty oxen in all kinds of weather and through swollen streams and heavy roads. He was employed by several sheep outfits in later years. Steamboat Bill passed away in Lethbridge in April of 1927 at the age of 79. His burial was arranged by the Oldtimer's Association.

Metzler, Willam Hill

William was born in 1849 at Boston, Mass. U.S.A. and died in 1954 at Pincher Creek, Alberta. He was married at Pincher Creek by Father Lacombe in 1903 to Victoria Regina Payant, who was born in 1877 at Chateauguay, P.Q. Their children were: Marylla, Cevilla and John. William was engaged with the N.W.M.P. in 1879 and was at Fort Walsh and Fort Macleod in 1881. He was at Pincher Creek in 1883 and took his discharge in 1885. He homesteaded at Fishburn. He ranched with Archie Rouleau and later ranched by himself.

Mewburn, Dr. Frank Hamilton M.D. C.M.

Dr. Mewburn arrived in Lethbridge in 1883. He was born in 1858 at Drummondville, Ontario and died in 1929 at Edmonton, Alberta. He was married in 1887 to Louise Augustine Nelson. Their children were: Frank, Helen and Arthur. Frank served as a Medical Officer in the North West Rebellion and was decorated. He returned to McGill University to complete his M.C. and C.M. He served in several hospitals. In 1885 he served the N. W. M. P. and the N.W. Coal and Irrigation Company at Lethbridge, Alberta as well, he was medical officer for Galt Hospital. He was appointed surgeon for the N.W.M.P. and in 1911 was Honorable Surgeon. He was the medical officer during the construction of the Crowsnest line of the C.P.R. He was Mayor of Lethbridge for two years.

Mickle, Wheeler Adam

Wheeler was born in 1840 in Ontario and died in 1918 at Cochrane, Alberta. He was married in 1870 at Kingsville, Ontario to Julie Lucinda Thompson, who was born in 1840 at Colechester, Ontario and died in 1920 at Cochrane. Their children were: John, Charles, Edwin, and Mary. Wheeler left Ontario in 1862 and traveled overland to the gold fields of Caribou, B.C. He worked on pack trains and drove stagecoach. He married and took up land in the Nicola Valley of B.C. In 1881 he was employed in freighting between Calgary and Fort Walsh for the N.W.M.P. He settled in Calgary and started a feed and dray business. He was a teamster during the Riel Rebellion. Later he raised cattle at Springbank and Mission Valley.

Middleton, Henry Rudolph

Henry was born in 1868 at Cumberland, England and died in 1924 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1899 at Winnipeg, Manitoba to Hester Harriet Browne, who was born in 1868 in County Kerry, Ireland and died in 1910 at Okotoks, Alberta. Their children were: Verena, Geoffrey, Hester, Violet, and Eileen. The Middleton Ranch was on the south side of Sheep Creek, just below the forks. When Hester died, the children were raised by relatives. He arrived at High River in 1886.

Miles, Thomas Routlege

Born in 1867 at Greystone, Ireland, Thomas died in 1911 at Pincher Creek, Alberta. He was unmarried. Thomas ranched in the Crowsnest Pass. He was at Fort Macleod in 1885/86.

Millar, Charlie

Charlie was born in 1871 in Chicago Heights, Illinois, U.S.A. and died in 1926 at High River, Alberta. He was married in 1921 to Stella Wheeler. They had no family. A younger brother of Herbert Millar, Charlie came west to join Herbert. His first job was with Tom Lynch at High River. He then went to the Bar U where he was a noted rider and roper. He resided in High River until his death.

Millar, Herbert

Born in 1860 at Chicago Heights, Illinois, U.S.A., Herbert died at High River, Alberta in 1950. He was married in 1898 to Ella Corsaut, who died in 1955 in Ontario. They had no family. Herbert was hired by Fred Stimson of the Bar U Ranch to bring a bunch of bulls from Chicago. One of the top bucking horse riders in the country, he broke horses for the Bar U for 10 years. He worked for the Bar U under different owners for 50 years, at the same time, running various herds of horses on his own. He was at the Bar U Ranch in 1882. Herbert retired from ranching in 1934.

Millar, Malcolm Tanner

Malcolm was born in 1861 at Perth, Scotland and died in 1937 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1893 at Calgary to Helen Alice Julia Shaw, who was born in 1864 at Herefordshire, England and died in 1942 at Calgary, Alberta. They had two daughters, Elsie and Evelyn. After completing his education, Malcolm was sent to learn the tea trade. In 1879 he came to Canada. In 1880 he joined the N.W.M.P., and reported to Sarnia and journeyed west via the U.S.A. to Walsh. He was in the Riel Rebellion and took his discharge in 1885. He came to DeWinton and settled on land now known as Millarville, where he started the Millarville Trading Post. He was the first postmaster in 1892. Mr. and Mrs. Millar were both active in community affairs. Mrs. Millar was a teacher and also helped set up Shaw Wollen Mills at Midnapore, Alberta.

Miller, James Burgess

Born in 1864 at Wiarton, Ontario, James died in 1945 at Pincher Creek, Alberta. He was married at Brockett, Alberta to Mary Agnes Sexton. Their children were: Lillian, Boyce, May, John, Esther, Evelyn, Agnes, and Reginald. James' brand was registered. At Pincher Creek - pre 1887.

Miller, William (Billie)

Billie was born in 1859 at Greenock, Scotland and died in 1932 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1891 at Lethbridge to Anna Bella Clinton, who was born in 1863 at Fermanagh, Ireland and died in 1938 at Calgary, Alberta. Their children were: Annie, William, Lorne, Alexander, James, Thomas, Ethel, Wesley, Clifford, Frederick, and Claudius. Billie worked on construction of the C.P.R. from Winnipeg to Calgary. At Calgary in 1882.

Mills, George

George was born around 1856 at London, England and died in 1928 at Nemiscam, Alberta. He was married in 1878 at London, England to Terelyn Stoddard, who was born in England and died in 1938 at Calgary, Alberta. They had one daughter, Janet. At Crowsnest Pass in 1881.

Millward, Joseph

Joseph was a painter, and was a member of the first Calgary City Council in 1884. He was a councilor until 1886, when he was suspended by Judge Travis.

Milne, David

David was born in 1857 at Largo, Scotland and was married in 1892 to Helen Charteris, who was born at Dumfrieshire, Scotland and died in 1899 at Medicine Hat. They had three children. His second wife was Annie Chambers, whom he married in 1901 at Medicine Hat. She was born at Rosshire, Scotland. They had one daughter. In 1883, David came to Canada, going to Winnipeg to take a homestead. He was employed there as a carpenter as well. In 1887 he came west to Canmore, where he was employed by the C.P.R. building bridges until 1889. He then moved to Medicine Hat where he erected a building which he leased to the Medicine Hat Trading Company. Later he took over this business and ran it until 1911 when he sold out and retired. He was public minded and contributed much time to education and civic affairs. He was Mayor from 1909 to 1911.

Milvain, James

James was born in 1874 at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England and died in 1945 at Burmis, Alberta. He was married in 1902 at Calgary to Winnifred Helen MacIntosh, who was born in 1878 at Strathroy, Ontario and died at Pincher Creek, Alberta. They had two children: James and Charles. James was a longtime, well known rancher of the Burmis district. His son, James V.H. Milvain became a Chief Justice.

Miquelon, Joseph Zoel

Joseph was born in 1834 at St. Felix deKingsey, Quebec and died in 1899 at Wetaskwin. He was married in 1856 at Wotton, P.Q. to Nancy Durning. They had six sons and three daughters. He worked for 30 years in the village of St. Camille - a colonist, he cleared land, surveyed roads, helped organize the agricultural society and the school board where he was secretary treasurer. In 1874 he was appointed Forest Warden of the Crown. Although Joseph had only an elementary education, his clear thinking and good memory made him very capable. In 1883 he left for the N.W.T. as immigration officer and land agent. In 1892 he settled in Wetaskwin, where he was postmaster and later became a Justice of the Peace, registrar and sub-land agent. His career in the west was a continuation of his work in the east. Half of his family settled in the west as well. He was in Calgary in 1883.

Mitchell, James and Isabella

A rancher at Medicine Hat in 1887.

Mitchell, Janet

Janet was born in Kipen, Scotland and died in Medicine Hat, Alberta in 1938. She came to Medicine Hat in 1887.

Mitchell, John Green

John was a taxidermist in Calgary in 1883.

Mitchell, Margaret

Margaret was born in 1849 at Kipen, Scotland and died in 1936 at Medicine Hat, Alberta. She was the maiden sister of James Mitchell, a rancher who came to Regina in 1883 and to Medicine Hat in 1885.

Mitchell, Robert

Robert was born in Scotland in 1841 and died in 1920 at Medicine Hat, Alberta. He was married to Elizabeth MacFarlane, who was born in 1850 and died in 1894 at Medicine Hat. Their children were: Elizabeth, James, William, Mary, Margaret, Robert, Jennie, and Henry. At Medicine Hat in 1887/88.

Mohr, Philip

Philip was born in 1852 in Austria and died in 1906 at Edmonton, Alberta. He was married in Austria in 1875 to Caroline Decker, who was born in 1854 in Austria and died in 1924 at Edmonton. They had one son, Jacob. At Dunmore in 1889.

Molloy, Joseph W.

Joseph was born in Ireland in 1871. He was a travelling salesman working out of Lethbridge. At Lethbridge in 1887.

Mongeons, Joseph

Mr. Mongeons was in southern Alberta prior to 1890.

Monilaws, J. George

Born in 1868 at Kincardine, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1945. He was married in 1898 at Simcoe, Ontario to Belle Tisdale, who was born in 1867 at Simcoe, Ontario and died in 1949 at Calgary. They had two children; John and Helen. George was a locomotive engineer. He joined the C.P.R. in 1891, promoted to fireman in 1893 and an engineer in 1899. He retired in 1934. At Calgary 1886.

Monkman, nee Byrne, Maria (Molly)

Molly was born in 1870 in Wicklow, Ireland and died in 1949 at Red Deer, Alberta. She married James Hamilton Monkman in 1892 at Calgary. James was at Pekisko, in 1890. He was born in 1866 at Mount Hope, Ontario and died in 1942 at High River. Their children were: Lucinda, Elizabeth, James, John, Kathleen, William, Lloyd, Dennis, and Robert. Maria Monkman came to Calgary with her father Paddy Byrne who went to the Klondyke and returned to Ireland. Maria remained working with the Stimsons at the Palace Hotel and later at the Bar U Ranch when she met and married James Monkman who was employed there. They moved to their home in High River in 1900. Jim Monkman and Bob Findlay contracted threshing and Jim started the first ice business there. He later homesteaded east of town and Molly ran a boarding house.

Mooney, James O'Connor

James was born in 1860 in Prescott, Ontario and died in 1937 at Calgary, Alberta. Married in 1893 at Shepard, to Caroline Ann Clement, who was born in 1863 at Chesterville, Ontario and died in 1945 at Shepard. They had four children: Edward, Mary, Francis, and James. James homesteaded in the Shepard area about 1885. In 1909 he operated the store and post office, and after his death his daughter Mary, became postmistress.

Moore, James B.

James was married in 1886 at Fort Macleod, Alberta to Kathleen McCallum. They had a family of five daughters and five sons. James came to Canada in 1883 and worked for awhile in Montreal before coming west. In 1885 he joined the N.W.M.P. and took part in the Riel Rebellion. He transferred to Fort Macleod where he met his wife to be. He served with the Force for 13 years and then went into farming and ranching. He then worked for the C.P.R. until the outbreak of W.W.I when he joined up and served overseas for five years. When he returned he went back to the C.P.R. in Calgary where he worked until his retirement.

Moore, James Burns

James died in Calgary, Alberta. His family consisted of his sister, Mary Annie, who was born in 1862 at Montreal, P.Q. and died at Calgary in 1949. She married John Dowling. James was an artist and his date of arrival in Alberta is unknown.

Moore, Timothy

Timothy was born in 1830 in England and died at High River, in 1903. He married Jane Baker of Walkerton, Ontario. She died in 1882 at Walkerton. They had three children. Timothy settled at Gladys Ridge in 1885. In 1899 he was joined by his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. William, who lived on the ridge until 1938 when they moved to Vancouver. Julia came west and married David Clark of the Royal North West Mounted Police in Calgary, Alberta.

Moorhouse, Oscar

Oscar was born 15 January, 1870 at Shetland, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1953. He was married at Calgary in 1908 to Margaret (Nettie) McElroy, who was born at South Mountain, Ontario on 17 May, 1872 and died at Calgary in 1952. They had one son, Milton. Oscar farmed at Carseland, Alberta on Sec. 6-23-25-W5th. He came to Calgary in 1888 and worked as a grader on the C & E Railroad. In the winter of 1888/89 he worked for Eau Claire Lumber, west of Banff. In 1889 he and his brother Franklin homesteaded six miles east of Calgary. Shortly after he moved to Strathmore and established 'Home Coulee Ranch' - 14 miles south west of Strathmore. Mrs. Moorhouse, being a graduate nurse, found herself to be in great demand of her services caring for the ill or injured neighbours. She was the only nurse between Strathmore and the Bow River. They retired to Calgary in 1944.

Moorhouse, Robert Franklin Langford

Franklin was born on October 22, 1866 at Shetland, Ontario and died on April 28, 1948 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married on December 28, 1892 in Ontario to Mary Louisa Whiting, who was born on December 28, 1868 at Muncey, Ontario and died at Calgary on October 13, 1964. They had six children. Franklin homesteaded in 1889, four miles east of the Cushing Bridge. He came to Calgary in 1888. He remained on the farm until 1911 when he moved into Calgary. After retiring from farming in 1911, he opened a Packard dealership in Calgary (later leased to Jack Patterson).

Morden, Albert Milton

Albert was born in 1843 at Wentworth County, Ontario and died in 1902 at Pincher Creek. He was married in 1870 at West York, Ontario to Sarah Mulholland, who was born in 1848 at West York and died in 1915 at Pincher Creek. They had three children. Albert's registered brand in 1888 was 'M'. The Calgary Herald on September 29, 1956 featured an article referring to the Morden's with pictures of the family and house. He was in Pincher Creek area in 1881.

Morgan, William (Old Bill)

William died about 1915 at High River, Alberta. He was a member of the N.W.M.P. and stationed at High River in 1888 and 1889. He took his discharge in either 1891 or 1892. He was a teamster with the N.W.M.P. He worked in the High River area for J.J. McHugh, W.E.G. Holmes, Walter Skrine and Billie Henry. He went to the Yukon, Tide Lake, with Billie Henry. In 1914, he was ill and returned to High River where he later died. William was at Fort Walsh and Fort Macleod in 1879.

Morris, John Henry

John was born in 1868 at Blenheim, Ontario. He was married in 1895 to Margaret Drummond Jardine. They had a family of four children. John worked for J.H.Cavanaugh in Lethbridge, to 1895, then he was transferred to Edmonton in 1896 and in 1897 he founded J.H. Morris & Co. He served one year on the Lethbridge Council and two years on the Edmonton Council. He was president for the Edmonton Board of Trade and president for the organization of the Exhibition Board. He was in Medicine Hat and Lethbridge in 1885.

Morrison, Angus Campbell

Angus was born in 1867 at South Uist, Scotland and died at Cranbrook, B.C. in 1958. He was married to Mary Emslie at Calgary, in 1892, who was born at Aberdeenshire, Scotland and died at Cranbrook, B.C. in 1936. They had three children. Angus worked in Calgary from 1888 to 1897 including employment in Alex Ingram's Saloon. In 1897 he moved to Fort Steele and then Cranbrook. He rented the Cranbrook Hotel with a partner and later Morrison sold out to his partner Ryan. Morrison then started a dairy farm near the townsite where he lived until his death.

Morrison, Donald

Donald was born in 1849 at Goderich, Ontario and died in 1932 at Okotoks, Alberta. He was married in 1880 at Woodside, Manitoba to Grace MacRae, who was born at Kintail, Ontario and died in 1914 at Okotoks, Alberta. They had seven children: Angus, Mary, Robert, Annie, William, Norman, and Alexander. He was at Okotoks in 1885.

Morrison, Donald Campbell

Donald was born in 1861 at South Uist, Scotland and died in 1925 at Cochrane, Alberta. He was married at south Uist in 1895 to Jane MacDonald, who was born at South Ulst and died in 1917 at Cochrane, Alberta. Their children were: Margaret, Mary, John, and Catherine. Arriving in Calgary with $5.00 in his pocket, Donald Morrison got a job herding sheep that same day and continued working at various jobs until he was able to buy land. In 1898 he also took up a homestead. In 1895 he returned to Scotland to marry Jane and bring her back with him. He was one of the founders of the Cochrane Creamery and a charter member of the Southern Alberta Pioneers' and Old Timers Association. He was at Cochrane in 1887.

Morrison, Nellie (Nee Gray)

Nellie was born in 1861 at Hamilton, Ontario and died in Calgary, Alberta in 1927. She was married in 1886 at Calgary to Ralph Alexander Gasgoine Bell, who was in Calgary in 1882. Ralph was born in 1861 in Doncaster, England and died in 1953 at Calgary. He was with the N.W.M.P. from 1881-1886. They had three children: Anna, May, and George.

Mortimer, George Maitland

George was born in 1873 at Wellington, Ontario and died in 1950. He was married in 1900 at Cochrane, to Mary Quigley, who was born in 1881 at Lanarkshire, Scotland, and died in 1967 at Banff, Alberta. They had four children: Stanley, Lawson, James and Marjorie (Dolly). George came to the Bell-Irving Ranch in the Grand Valley area in 1890. In 1892 he worked with Mr. Elliot. In 1894 he homesteaded in the Dog Pound Creek area, in 1909 he had a livery stable in Cochrane. He was a village councilor from 1908 to 1912.

Moss, Joseph Higginbottom Saxon

(see also detailed post-publication profile)

Joseph came to Canada as a young boy, and to Calgary in 1879 to survey the fifth meridian. He ranched at Pine Creek and later one mile west of Mossleigh. Mossleigh was named after the surnames of his parents: Moss and Lee (Leigh). Joseph was born in 1850 at Lancashire, England and died in 1913. In 1888 at Calgary he married Elizabeth Shortt, who died in 1911. They had a family of six children.

Moss, Walter

Walter was born in 1860 at Derbyshire, England and died in 1941 at Calgary, Alberta. He was married in 1885 at Lancashire, England to Mary (Polly) Lupton, who was born in 1860 at Yorkshire, England and died in 1934 at Calgary, Alberta. The children were: Ophelia, Norman, Laura, Beatrice, and Leslie. Walter farmed and ranched in the Shepard district where he arrived in 1889.

Mossop, H.

H. Mossop was in Lethbridge in 1886 and died February, 1910.

Mott, Dan

Dan was born in Ohio, U.S.A. and died at Fernie, B.C. He married Allie and they had two children. Dan came to Alberta with the 76, or Powder River outfit in 1886 as the repair man and Allie as the cook. When the cattle company sold out, the Motts ran a Stopping House in conjunction with the Mosquito Creek ranch on Mott Creek. They sold out and operated a lumber business in Fort Macleod. They later moved to Fernie, B.C. and continued in the lumber business.

Moulton, J.D.

J. D. Moulton established the Royal Hotel in Calgary in 1883. He sold to Martin and Reilly in 1884. He was a member of the first civic committee in 1884. He moved to New Orleans, U.S.A.

Mounkes, Alphuse Calvin

Calvin was born in 1869 at Clay County, Missouri, U.S.A and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1942. He was married in 1892 at Okotoks, to Rebecca Ann McLaren, who was born in Darlington, Ontario and died in 1946 at Calgary. The children were: Logan, Alice, Phyllis, William, and Margaret. Calvin was a pioneer farmer of the Okotoks area in 1887.

Contributed by Sandra Pye

Mountain Horse, Mike

Mike was born in the Fort Macleod district in 1888, 11 years after the signing of "Treaty No.7". He attended school in 1893 at St. Paul English Church. In 1900 he attended Calgary Industrial School for five years. During 1906 to 1915, he was an Interpreter for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; joined the Army and served Overseas in the 191st Battalion during the Battle of Ypres. He was awarded the D.C.M. Title of Chief on his return. He was married twice: his first wife was Mary Taylor and his second wife was Little Woman. They had two children: Harry (Knife) and Lilly (Many Buffalo Stones).

Mudiman, David Lambert

David came west in 1882. He was born in England in 1865 and died at Fort Macleod, Alberta in 1918. In 1893, he married Mary Woods, who was born near Ottawa, in 1865 and died at Fort Macleod in 1945. They had one daughter and four sons. David learned the Blackfoot language and built a small log building at Standoff, where he traded goods. The Blackfoot Indians made him a Blood brother and named him "Opvctia". In 1885, he joined Major Rogers' survey party but at the outbreak of the second Riel Rebellion, he left to become a scout. They later farmed at Fort Macleod where they grew some of the first wheat grown in Alberta. David was known as David Lambert in the early days, as the Indians had trouble with the name Mudiman.

Submitted by Ethel M. McDonald

Muir, James

Not much is known about James except that he came to Calgary in 1890. He was a Barrister, residing at the Ranchmen's Club.

Muir, Michael

Michael was born in 1864 at Springhill, N.S. and died at Medicine Hat, Alberta in 1948. He was married at Springhill in 1888 to Eliza Rundle, who was born in 1864 at Springhill and died in 1936 at Medicine Hat, Alberta. Their children were: Ernest, Thelma, Charles (Keith), Dorothy, Edna, and Edith. Michael was at Medicine Hat in 1888.

Munro, Charles Robert (Bob)

Mr. Munroe was born in 1867 at Carp, Ontario and died in 1935 at Calgary, Alberta. His first wife was Sarah Emily, who died in 1907. He then married Martha Barkley, who died at Calgary in 1935. Bob came to Alberta from Tarbolton Township, Ontario in 1888. He took part in constructing the C.P.R. and was based at Golden, B.C. With his two brothers and his mother, he homesteaded the complete section of 6-25-3-W5th, purchased SE 36-24-4-W5th from E. Healy in 1904 and the SE and N 36-24-4-W5th from Ike Pepper and moved there to live.

Munro, William James

William was born in 1864 at Pembroke, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1931. He married in 1891 at Calgary to Martha Thistle Hamilton (DeWinton, 1884), who was born in 1862 at Hemmingford, P.Q. and died at Calgary in 1922. They had two daughters and two sons. In 1884, Martha Hamilton left Hemmingford to live with her brother Sam in the DeWinton area. She was joined by her sister Mary and started a boarding house. Billie came to Calgary from Ontario in 1888. A contractor and stone mason, he worked on many of the stone buildings built at that time. William, his brothers C.R. and J.A. and their mother, filed on Section 6-25-3-W5th. A house was built in 1897 and a few log buildings were added. The family moved onto the homestead in 1900.

Munroe, Alexander William and Elizabeth S.

Alexander and Elizabeth arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. They came from Springhill, Nova Scotia. Elizabeth died in 1925 and was survived by five daughters and five sons.

Murdoch, George

George was born in Paisley, Scotland in 1850 and died in 1910 at Calgary, Alberta. He married Margaret Flood in New Brunswick in 1879. Margaret was born in 1854 and died at Crossfield in 1931. They came to Calgary in 1883 with two children. Three more children were born in Calgary. George was Mayor of Calgary in 1884 and 1885. In 1884, George was appointed Justice of the Peace and administrated the Liquor Act. In 1885 he organized the residents of Calgary for a possible attack during the Riel Rebellion.

Murphy, Alexander Joseph (Joe)

Alexander was born in 1862 at Mount Forest, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1920. He was married in 1904 at Calgary to Helen A. O'Reilly, who was born in 1869 at Norwood, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1930. They had one daughter, Helen. Joe, accompanied by his father, a Dominion Land Surveyor, went to Manitoba. In the fall of 1883 they returned to Winnipeg, where Alexander went into the plumbing business. In 1888, he continued west to Calgary where he started a boot and shoe store. He carried mail from Calgary to Fort Macleod and worked on the construction of the Crowsnest Pass Railroad. About 1900 he set up a stock farm north of Cochrane, where he raised thoroughbreds, standardbreds, and draft horses. In 1895 Joe and his brother Jim built the Alberta Hotel at Cochrane, a livery stable and set up a lumber yard. Joe was at Springbank in 1888.

Murphy, Francis

Francis was born in 1833 at Mayo County, Ireland and died at Calgary, in 1898. He was married at Mount Forest, Ontario in 1858 to Mary Ann Quinn, who was born there and died at Calgary in 1902. They had two children: Alexander Joseph and James. Francis was a Dominion Land Surveyor at Calgary in 1888.

Murphy, James

James was married to Mary Ann Demarest, who was born at Red River, Manitoba. They had one son Felix Savier (Spud).

Murphy, James Ignatius

James was born in 1865 at Mount Forest, Ontario and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1910. He was married to Josephine Blanche Campbell, who was born in 1880 at Guelph, Ontario and died in 1912 at Calgary. They had four children. In 1898, with his brother A.J. (Joe), Jim helped build the Alberta Hotel at Cochrane, and the Murphy Livery Stables. James came to Calgary in 1886.

Murphy, John (Jack)

Jack was born in 1855 and died at Pincher Creek, in 1893. He was married at Fort Macleod in 1885 to Mary Monoghan, who was born in 1858. They had no children. Jack settled on the Pincher Creek, four miles below the town after his marriage in 1885. Following his death, Mary remarried to Bill Bunt, an old time cowpuncher. Jack came to Fort Macleod in 1881 with the N.W.M.P.

Murray, Duncan

Duncan was married at High River, to Sarah Elizabeth Tandy (widow of Stephen Bridges). Sarah was born in 1862 at Kent, England and died in 1941 at New Westminister, B.C. They had three children: twins, Angus and Lottie and Betty. Duncan arrived in Sheep Creek, in 1885. He ranched on Sheep Creek with A.J. Carroll, branding their horses and cattle with '86'. In 1887 he sold to George Lane and Herbert Millar. Duncan then worked around the High River area until 1905, when the family moved to New Westminister, B.C.

Murray, James

James was born in 1832 at Kirknewton, England and died in 1915 at Murray Valley (west of Olds, Alberta). He was married in England in 1856 to Mary Jane Lockie, who was born in 1833 at Ancroft, England and died in 1908 at Murray Valley, Alberta. James and his family came to Canada in 1885 and to Jumping Pound in 1886. He homesteaded NW 31-24-4-W5th. After three years of drought he moved his family and cattle to Murray Valley, west of Olds.

Murray, James G.

James was born at Hazelrigg, England and died at Sedgewick, Alberta in 1963. He was married at Olds, in 1900 to Gertrude Johnson, who was born in 1881 in Minnesota, U.S.A. They had three children. James was in the Calgary area in 1885.

Murray, Jane

Mr. Murray died in 1877 at Winnipeg, Manitoba and Mrs. Murray brought her three children to Calgary in 1885, where she had a brother Joe Rodway, who was a ladderman with the Calgary Fire Department.

Murray, Robinson

Robinson was born in 1863. He was married in 1886 at Brandon, Manitoba to Martha Grey, who was born in 1861 at Stanington, Scotland and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1940. There were five children. The Murray family moved from Lethbridge to Calgary in 1898. Robinson was in the Lethbridge area in 1889.

Murray, William

William arrived in Lethbridge in 1885. He was born in 1853 and died on November 13, 1933 at Lethbridge. William was employed on the Railway when it was built from Dunmore to Lethbridge.

Murton, George

George Murton was a Dominion Government Meat Inspector at Calgary, Alberta in 1890.

© 2001-12 Southern Alberta Pioneers and Their Descendants
Last updated 7 Jul 2004