Pioneer Profiles : L
Lacombe, Father Albert, OMI
(see full Pioneer Profile for Father Albert Lacombe)
Father Lacombe, son of Albert and Agatha Duhamel Lacombe, was born February 28, 1822 in St. Sulspice PQ. Educated at L'Assumption College and ordained in 1849 he accompanied the Hudson's Bay Brigade to Edmonton in 1852. He filed for homestead rights and established a mission in the Calgary area around 1865. He helped convince the local Indians that the CPR railway was not a threat to their way of life and thus a great deal of bloodshed was avoided. Two towns in Alberta were named after him, Lacombe and St. Albert.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
2004 Addendum. Ref: Golden Jubilee of the Lacombe Home.
Mr. La Feves came to the Pincher Creek area around 1883.
2004 Addendum. Ref: History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek p. 36.
La Nauze, Thomas Story
Thomas La Nauze, born in 1847 at Melund Ireland, earned a B.A. at a College in Dublin. After living in South America from 1872 to 1880 he emigrated to Canada and joined the NWMP in Toronto Ontario. He was stationed in Fort Walsh and was later transferred to Fort Macleod in December 1880. Serving as Sergeant until 1882 he purchased his discharge and took up a homestead northwest of Fort Macleod. He later sold his property and worked on local ranches until returning to Ireland in February, 1885 where he died in 1895.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Canadian Cattleman, Dec. 1947 to Dec 1948.
La Pierre, Albert L.
Albert La Pierre arrived in Calgary in 1890 and was employed as an orderly at the hospital in Calgary.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
Lafferty, Dr. Alan M.
Dr. Lafferty was born at Perth, Ontario in 1861. He married Janet Wheeler and they had two children. He was a surgeon with the Great Northern Railway and came to Lethbridge in 1888. He was a medical health officer for many years and a Life member of the Canadian Medical Society.
Lafferty, Dr. James D.
Dr. and Mrs. Lafferty came to Calgary in 1885. He was born 1853 in Pembrooke Ontario and died 1921. He married Jessie Grant, they had one son, Geoffrey. Dr. Lafferty practiced medicine in Ontario prior to coming to Calgary. In 1885 he moved to Calgary as Chief Surgeon of the C.P.R., at the same time operating a private practice until his death. He was President of the Alberta College of Physicians. Mayor of Calgary in 1890. He also operated a system of private banks extending from Winnipeg to the Pacific coast.
LaFontaine, Charles & Philomene
Charles LaFontaine having married a widow Philomene Thibert with a son Moses, moved from Ottawa to Walla Walla Washington in 1871. Sometime in 1887, Philomene and her two younger daughters traveled by buggy and covered wagon, while Charles, step-son Moses, and two LaFontaine sons trailed forty horses over a three month period arriving in the Cowley area in the late summer of 1887. Charles and Philomene homesteaded on the Middle Fork River north of Cowley. Moses and older son Henry LaFontaine eventually took up homesteads west of Cowley. The Fontaine part of the family moved to Lomond in 1910. Mose Thibert married Emma Carriere from Quebec in 1903. They had five children while they farmed land on Todd Creek.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass p. 710.
La Grandeur, Mose
Mose La Grandeur, born in Montreal, married Julia Livermore who was born in Nebraska, in Grand Valley, Oregon in 1874. They came to the Pincher Creek via Great Falls Montana and Fort Macleod in 1882. Traveling in a covered wagon they brought with them a string of thoroughbred horses. Ranching on various properties in the area they eventually homesteaded at the junction of the Pincher Creek and the Oldman rivers where they ran a well known stage coach stopping place near the LaGrandeur crossing that was named after them. The LaGrandeurs had six children, Mose died in Pincher Creek in 1900, Julia in died there in 1939.
2004 Addendum. Ref: History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek p. 36, and Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 88-89.
Lamar, John (Joe)
Joe Lamar came to the Waldron Ranch in 1888. He married Lizzie Waldron, who died in 1906 at Chihuahus, Mexico.
Lambert, James Smith (Jim)
Jim Lambert served with the NWMP at Fort Macleod from 1888 to 1898. He went to the Klondike gold rush and when the South African War broke out he returned to Winnipeg, Manitoba where he enlisted. Jim returned to Fort Macleod after the war in 1901 and in 1902 was a member of the Lord Strathcona's Horse unit to attend the Coronation of Edward VII. Jim Lambert was born at Lancashire, England in 1866 and died in 1948. He married Miss E. L. Taylor, who was born at Lancashire, England and died at Fort Macleod in 1920. They had one daughter and two sons in their family. After Jim came back to Fort Macleod he followed his trade as a building contractor. He was back in uniform when World War I broke out, serving with the 13 Canadian Mounted Rifles, ending the war as a Captain. He served on the town council, supervised building activities, and was a school board member for four years.
La Monde, Charlie
Charlie La Monde homesteaded about three miles east of Pincher Creek in 1884. He sold his property to Jim Redpath who with L. Hogan ran cattle on the land.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 90.
Lamont, J. L.
J. L. Lamont was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1885.
Lamont, W. A.
W. A. Lamont was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1886.
Lancaster, Hugh Christie
Hugh Lancaster came to Fort Macleod in 1888. He was born in Ontario in 1874 and died at Pincher Creek in 1942. In 1906 he married Florence Courtney, who was born at London, England and died at Calgary in 1931. His second marriage was to Nancy Ballard R.N. in 1935. She died at Pincher Creek in 1959. There was a family of six children.
Landels, A. Robert
Robert Landels was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1887.
Lander, J. D.
Mr. J. D. Lander was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1886.
George Lane was at first a ranch foreman but later became the Cattle King of Canada and owner of the Bar U and Willow Creek Ranches. He was one of the Big Four that founded the Calgary Stampede. In 1886 at Calgary, he married Elizabeth Sexsmith, who was born in 1866 at Mochom County, Quebec and died in 1958. They had eight children in their family.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
William Lang came to Okotoks in 1889. He was born at Riverfield, Quebec in 1864 and died at Okotoks in 1944. He married Mary Abbott at Okotoks in 1891. She was born in 1865 at Howick, Quebec and died at Okotoks in 1922. There was one daughter and two sons in their family.
Long, Henry George (Harry)
Harry Long came to Fort Kipp in 1889 at the age of eighteen. His brother was operating the Stopping House there. He remained at Kipp until 1892 when he joined the Gold Rush to the Kootenays. He returned "broke". In 1896 he accompanied a shipment of cattle to England and while there was married to Alice M. Meecham. She was born in 1875 and died at Fort Macleod in 1931. When Henry returned from England he was employed as stockman at the Blood Indian Reserve at Gleichen. In 1902 he homesteaded at Stand Off. Henry Long was born at Glouchester, England and died at Fort Macleod in 1964. There were five children in the Long family.
Langford, Thomas (Paddy) C.
Paddy Langford, born in Ireland, came initially to the Plum Creek area in Manitoba, and later settled on the Little Bow River in 1885. He increased his herd by natural growth to 700 head and raised Clyde-Percheron horses. A disastrous prairie fire in 1901, killed 75 of his 100 horses and several of his cattle. Paddy Lanfdord sold his ranch in 1902 and returned to Ireland where he married his child sweetheart.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree.
J. Langlais traveling the Edmonton Trail in 1886, filed for homestead rights on NW1/4 of Sec.36-29-4-W5M. In 1889 with a Northwest Rebellion grant he filed on the adjoining NE1/4 of Sec.36-29-4-W5M.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Olds First.
La Penotiere, Fred G.
Fred Penotiere was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.
Edward Larkin joined the NWMP at Fort Macleod in 1874 and served there for six years. He was a cook and received an honorable discharge in 1880. In 1885 he served in the Rebellion. Edward was born in Ireland in 1847 and died at Midnapore in 1931. He was not married. Edward Larkin was a round-up cook for Winder, the Waidron and Oxley Ranches. His last years were spent in the Lacombe Home.
Angelique Larocque filed for homestead rights on NE1/4 of Sec.28-34-1-W5M and a nearby N1/2 Section on July 17, 1888.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Olds First.
Latimer, W. J.
Since W. Latimer's name is affixed to the Cane of Remembrance it indicates he was a resident of the Calgary district prior to December 31, 1883.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Cane of Remembrance, Glenbow Museum.
Lauder, Dr. John Drought
Dr. John Lauder came to Fort Macleod in 1876. He was born at Trim, Ireland in 1854 and died at Innisfail, Alberta in 1934. At Calgary, in 1885, he married Marguerite Thomson, who was born in 1863 at Quebec City and died in 1950 at Calgary, Alberta. They had a family of five children.
Frank Lavasseur came from Basil NB via Montana in 1885, and homesteaded near his brother George east of Pincher Creek. He drove the stage for a time from Pincher Creek to Lethbridge. In 1895 he married Kate Gallager and later 1895 he sold his property to J. A. Sandgren.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 92.
Came to Fort Macleod around 1882 or 1883.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Membership Application Files, Re: Betty Geraldine Johnston Elkins.
Lawless, William H.
William Lawless was a C.P.R. employee at Calgary in 1890. He married Jennie May Galloway, who was born at Red Deer in 1886 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1958. They had one son.
Lawrence, Henry Frank
Henry Frank Lawrence came to the High River area in 1882, and worked for the Cochrane Ranch in 1883. He moved to the Red Deer River in 1895 and from there, to the east side of Pine Lake with his bride Ellen Isabella Chapman of Yorkshire, England. A large log house was built on the edge of a hill overlooking the lake where he and Ellen Isabella raised a family of six sons: Val, Cecil (Sykes), Ben, Pat, Chris and Nigel. His Sabre Ranch brand was registered and is still maintained by his grandson Robert Julian Lawrence. Mr. Lawrence served for a time as Police Magistrate at Red Deer. Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence spent the remainder of their lives at Pine Lake and are buried at the cemetery at the Holy Trinity Church, Pine Lake.
Submitted by John Lawrence.
Elijah Laycock came from Utah with a herd of cattle to the Cardston area in 1888. He left the cattle in the care of George Hudson and returned to Utah to marry Mary Hyde. They returned to Alberta where they purchased a section of land three miles south of Spring Coulee paying $0.50 per acre. He later sold the land in 1903 for $10.00 per acre which was the highest price ever paid for land in that area at that time. They then moved to Raymond where they settled on land near the town.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Hardwick Papers.
Joseph Laycock was a pioneer stockman in 1887. He raised purebred Holstein cattle, and was a member of The Dominion Board of the Holstein-Fresian Breeders Association and a member of the council of the Alberta Association. Joseph was born at Lancashire, England in 1850 and died at Calgary in 1939. At Lancashire, in 1872, he married Ann Leigh, who was born there in 1852 and died at Calgary in 1924. They had four children in their family. Margaret, James, Ann, Rebekah.
Thomas Laycock born in 1856, and Martha Shepherd born in 1861, were married in England in 1883. They arrived in the Calgary area in 1888 and established a Holstein dairy farm located some five miles north of Calgary. They had five children, Margaret born 1884, Joseph born 1886, Annie born 1889 and Thomas Hayes born 1890. Thomas died in 1920 and Martha died in 1939.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SPAD Black Books.
Layne, Jonathon Ellis
Jonathon Layne farmed and ranched in the Cardston area in 1887. He was born in 1835 in Indiana, U.S.A. and died in 1899 at Cardston. In 1869 he married Anna Maria Longhurst. There were ten children in their family.
Layton, Samuel John
Samuel Layton farmed and ranched in the Cardston area in 1888-1889 and had homesteaded at Montain View. In 1905 he moved to Taber where he was engaged in farming as well as being an implement dealer and blacksmith. In 1907 he was in the funeral business. He was born in 1855 at Kaysville, Utah, U.S.A. In 1876 at Salt Lake City, Utah, he married Sarah Trappet. This was his second marriage. Samuel had a family of eleven children. There was one child, Mary, by a previous marriage and another died in infancy.
Le Sueur, Harold Payn
Mr. Le Sueur homesteaded NE 1/2 of Sec18-26-5-W5M in 1890, which was previously owned by Jean dArtigue.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Big Hill Country p. 347.
Leavitt, Thomas Rowell
Mr. Thomas Leavitt came to Cardston in 1887. He was born in Quebec in 1835 and died at Cardston in 1891. In 1884 at Wellsville, Utah, he married Harriet Doudle, who was born there in 1862 and died at Cardston in 1923.
Timothy Lebel was educated at Cacouna, Quebec and clerked in a store there. He worked on a survey crew from Brandon to Regina in 1881-1882. He clerked for F. F. Tims and later operated a store for Tims at Maple Creek, as well as working at Broadview. He bought stock, set up business for himself, first at Canmore, Medicine Hat and then to Pincher Creek, where he was in partnership with Charles Kettles in 1884. Timothy was born in 1860 at Cacouna, Quebec and died in 1935 at Pincher Creek. In 1885 at Fort Macleod he married Marie Hortense Chasse, who was born at Cacouna in 1860 and died at Pincher Creek in 1935. They had one daughter, Mademoiselle Blanche Oulette. Lebel took an interest in civic affairs and his lodge.
Alec Leboeuf came from Oregon to the Beauvais area near Pincher Creek around 1882. He homesteaded just east of the Chinook Ranch where he raised some well bred horses that he successfully competed with in local horse racing events.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek, p. 36 and Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 235 - 236.
Henry Leboeuf, came from Oregon with his brother Alec where he also ranched in the Beauvais area near Pincher Creek area around 1882. He married Nancy Gervais and had four children, Stephen, Jess, William and Sarah.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek, p. 36 and Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 235 - 236.
Mr Lebompard was one of the men that took part in the Cypress Hills massacre of 1865.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaning On The Wind, p. 59.
Lee, Thomas S. C.
Thomas Lee was a Director of the General Hospital in Calgary in 1890.
2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Daily Herald, Nov. 18, 1933.
William Lee, after initially homesteading near La Grandeurs crossing on the Oldman River, located at Lees Lake in 1882. While there he learned, based on a recent land survey, that his buildings were on a HBC section. To avoid eviction by HBC he moved his buildings with the help of neighbors to another property at Rock Creek.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 411.
Lee, William Henry
W. H. Lee's name is affixed to the Cane of Remembrance thereby indicating he was a resident of the Calgary district prior to December 31, 1883. He was born in Canada West on December 18, 1856 and died in Calgary in 1917.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Cane of Remembrance, Glenbow Museum. Additional research by JFR.
Lee, William Samuel
William Lee came to ranch at Lee's Creek, near Cardston in 1867. He was born in England in 1830 and died at Burmis in 1896. He had a family of seven children. One of the daughters, Martha Caroline married a Cardinal who was born at Reeb Lake, Burmis, Alberta in 1885.
Leeds, Charles Frederick Augustus
Charles came to Calgary and then to Willow Creek. In 1888 he worked on the '76' Ranch at Mosquito Creek. He also ranched in partnership with F. W. Elliot in 1888 and they bought out Joseph E. M. Leeds and Cottingham. In 1900 he had his own ranch further up Willow Creek. His brand is registered with his family. Charles Leeds was born in 1868 at Richmond, Surrey, England, and died in 1951 at Claresholm. At Hampton, Wick, England, in 1902 he married Mildred Katherine Mary Robinson, who was born there in 1867 and died in 1938 at Claresholm. They had three children in their family.
Leeds, Joseph Edward Montagu
Joseph Leeds homesteaded on Willow Creek in 1886. The ranch was known as Cottingham and Leeds and later became the New Oxley Ranch site, New Oxley, P.O. The ranch was purchased from Wagner and the brand 96 was taken over from him. It was later purchased by his brother Charles and F. W. Elliot. The ranch is still retained by the C.F.A. Leeds family. He was born at Richmond, Surrey, England in 1864 and died at Barrie, Ontario in 1940. He was married there in 1902 to Kathleen Leigh Manners McCarthy. She died in 1921 at Toronto, Ontario. His second wife was Agnes Irwin Lancefield, whom he married in 1929 at Hamilton, Ontario. Agnes was born at Hamilton and died in 1966 at Barrie. There were no children.
Lees, William R.
William Lees came to the Northwest Territories in 1883 to manage the McLaren Lumber Mill near Pincher Creek.
Leeson, George Kidd
In 1880, Leeson came west to Manitoba and on to Morley, where he established a store in 1886. In partnership with Robert Scott, he established a mail service contracting to carry mail from Qu'Appelle to Prince Albert, Swift Current, Battleford, Calgary and Edmonton, and all western points. Leeson and Scott also owned the SL Ranch, it was managed by Mr. and Mrs. McCorcal. George was born in Ontario in 1843 and died in 1910. In 1884, at Winnipeg, he married Jane Anne Geddes, who was born at Wingham, Ontario. They had a family of two children.
Legal, Rev. Father Emil Joseph
Father Legal, born in France in 1849, was educated at Nantos, France and ordained in 1874 as a priest of the Oblate Fathers of the order of Mary Immaculate. From 1883 to 1889, he was responsible for the ministry to the Peigans and the Bloods. During his tenure, a combined mission house and day school was built on the mission property. He was a missionary at Fort Macleod from 1875 to 1897, and Bishop of St. Albert in 1902 and of Edmonton in 1912. Legal died at Edmonton in 1920.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: The Calgary Herald, Nov. 14, 1981.
Charles Lehr left Germany when he was 16 years old to live with his sister in Pennsylvania. Later in 1885 he left for the NWT where he became employed at the Bar U ranch where he was considered their prize round up cook. He took up a homestead in the area, married Annie Hagen in 1912 and had five children, Lena, Dorothy, Kathleen, Marjery and Charlie. Their property was sold and eventually became part of the Macmillian Hutterite colony.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree, p. 129.
Mr. Lemon in the 1880's was believed to have found gold in the Gap area in southwest Alberta.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek p. 6-7.
Lennie, Tom and Marie
Levasseur, George Noel
George Levasseur was a rancher, freighter and ran a stage coach at Fort Macleod in 1870. He was also in the lumber business and had a hotel at Fernie, B.C. He was born in New Brunswick in 1854 and died at Fernie in 1902. In 1884 he married Sophie J. Pelletier, who was born in New Brunswick in 1859 and died at Fort Macleod in 1945. They had five children; Edward F., Mary Anne, Wilbrod H., George W. and Alfie.
Godfrey Levinge was a little Irishman born near Belfast. He came to Alberta likely prior to 1885 to manage the Mount Head ranch located on the south fork of the Highwood river. In 1885, he was elected Secretary of the NW Stock Association. The Mount Head ranch was amalgamated with North-West Cattle ranch in 1886. Mr. Levinge returned to Ireland and died there shortly afterwards.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 69.
Daniel Lewis came to Shepard in 1889. He was born in Virginia, U.S.A and died at Calgary in 1916. He was married to Charlotte Campbell in 1867 at Toronto, Ontario. She was born in Ontario in 1849 and died at Calgary, Alberta in 1935. They had a family of eleven children, three of whom died in infancy. Their daughter, Mildred married John Ware, an early rancher in Southern Alberta.
Lewis, Henry (Scotty)
Henry Lewis was a sailor who worked in Oregon prior to coming around 1886 to the 76 Ranch where he was employed until 1889. He worked for Samson & Harford from 1889 to 1895. He married and moved to Fort Macleod in 1896.
2004 Addendum. Ref: ??
Lewis, John A.
The Lewis family came to the Beddington district in 1889. John Lewis was born at Claude, Ontario in 1864 and died at Calgary in 1940. He married Mary Jamieson at Inglewood, Ontario. She was born in 1865 and died at Calgary in 1957. There were three children in the family.
Lewis, Joseph Henry
Joseph Lewis farmed at Beddington in 1889. He was born in Ontario in 1866 and died at Calgary in 1944. In 1891 he married Emma Griffin in Ontario, who died at Calgary in 1938. They had no children.
Lewis, Joseph W. Hunter
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis (Elizabeth Dodsworth came to Calgary in 1889. They brought their adult family with them and homesteaded in the Nose Creek area. Later, Joseph and his wife settled in the Balzac district.
L'Heureux, "Reverend" Jean
Jean L'Heureux arrived in the west around 1865. He worked with Father Lacombe and served as an interpreter with Father Scollen at Treaty No. 7 in 1877. He lived in Pincher Creek from 1892 to 1912 and later at Lacombe House in Midnapore, where he died in 1919.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
2004 Addendum. Ref: Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 94.
Mr. Limoges was born at Montreal, Quebec and died at High River, Alberta in 1934. He married Suzanne Brazier, who died in 1908. They had a family of two sons and two daughters. He came to Cochrane with his partner, Count de Journel of Paris, where they established a trading post. He came to High River in 1886 and in 1889 became postmaster there. A position he held for forty-five years.
Submitted by Mrs. S. Higgins.
Lindsay, H. J.
Mr. Lindsay was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1887.
Lindsay, Dr. Neville James M.D., C.D.
Dr. Lindsay came to Calgary in 1883 on the first C.P.R. train carrying freight and construction material. He was born in Westminster Township, Ontario in 1845 and died at Calgary in 1925. In 1879 at Watford, Ontario he married Florence May Hungerford, who was born there in 1858 and died at Calgary in 1937. There were four children in their family. Dr. Lindsay was educated at Trinity College, Toronto and McGill University. He practiced in Watford for eight years before coming to Calgary where he continued his medical practice. Dr. Lindsay opened a medical office in a tent near the present CPR bridge over the Elbow river. Dr. Lindsay served as Alderman on the first Calgary Town Council in 1884. He was physician to the Blackfoot, Sarcee and Stony Indians as well as the NWMP and C.P.R. employees. The SAPD Memorial Building is located in Lindsay Park, just above where the home Dr. Lindsay commenced to build yet failed to complete prior to the WW I.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files.
John Lineham came to what is now southern Alberta in 1878. He was born in 1857 at Mitchell, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1913. In 1894 at Collingwood, Ontario he was married to Mary E. (Minnie) Martin, who was born there in 1866 and died at Okotoks in 1901. John Lineham was engaged in the livestock business in the Okotoks area and also owned the timber rights on the Sheep Creek and Highwood River in 1882. When oil was discovered at Waterton Park by Kootenai Brown, John Lineham formed the Rocky Mountain Development Company and brought the well into production. Millarville church was built with the Lineham Lumber Company logs.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
Lineham, William Donald
William Donald was a brother to John Lineham. He came to Okotoks in 1884. William was born in 1859 at Listowell, Ontario and died at Okotoks in 1927. He married Sarah Struthers in 1879 in Ontario, she died at Okotoks in 1906. His second wife was Mabel, who was born in Ontario in 1880 and died in 1963 at Okotoks. There were five children in the first marriage: Thomas E., John M., William M., Minnie B., and George A. The children of the second marriage were Margaret and Donald.
Lingren, Gustave Edward
Gustave Lindgren, born in Sweden, homesteaded N 1/2 of Sec.2-21-3-W5M in 1886. He died in 1889.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Our Foothills Bragg Creek, Kew and Millarville, p. 160.
Link, Adam Jacob
Adam Link came to Lethbridge in 1887. He married Mary Ann Nimmons. There were seven children: William H., Irene G., Olive E., Margaretta L., Norman A., Ruth C. and Marion M.
Linton, Adam Thomas
Adam Linton, born in Campbellford, Ontario in 1869, married Madeline Barker at Belleville, Ontario in 1900 and had four children, Robert, Courtland, Dorothy and Basil. He came to Calgary likely prior to 1885 and established a partnership hardware business named Linton & Hall, in the Armstrong Block..
2004 Addendum. Ref: MacRae, p. 746-747.
Linton, James Campbell
James Linton came to Calgary in 1884 and was proprietor of Linton's Book Store. He was born at Catham, Ontario in 1859 and died at Lethbridge in 1943. In 1889 he was married to Edith Maude Van Wart. She was born in 1867 at Woodstock, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1932. There were four children in their family.
Mr. Lipscombe was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1888.
Litch, Rev. J. Willard
A noted Baptist Union of Western Canada evangelist, Rev. Litch was minister of the First Baptist Church from 1898 to 1904 in Calgary.
Additional research by JFR.
Little, Henry (Harry)
Harry Little came to Calgary in 1890. He moved to Vancouver, B.C. but returned to Fort Macleod to manage the Great West Saddlery store in 1893. He was born in 1866 at Aylwin, Quebec and died at Fort Macleod in 1943. At Ottawa, Ontario in 1900 he married Annie Perry, who was born in 1875 at Aylmer, Quebec and died in 1975 at Fort Macleod. They had three children in their family.
Little, James Brown
James Brown Little was born 1854 in Ken Grenock, Scotland and emigrated to North America, learning the brick making business in Chicago and working on the Banff Springs Hotel and in Calgary. Mr. Little was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889. In 1893 at Edmonton, J.B. Little & Sons Brickyard was started on four hectares of land along a broad bend of the river in present day Riverdale. The Edmonton brickyard continued functioning into the 1980s.
2004 Addendum. Additional research by JFR.
Little, John (Jack)
John Little was the first settler on the present site of Red Deer. He was born about 1853 in Wellington County, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1887. In 1876 he was a telegraph operator during the building of the northern line of the railroad. Later he was Superintendent for five years. He was at Fort Macleod in 1881, Red Deer in 1882 and in 1885 was west of Calgary. In 1886 he became the C.P.R. operator. He ranched near the Elbow River. John Little was a man of many talents: a writer, a poet and musician. He has written many articles for the London Free Press and the Calgary Tribune under the pseudonym of Kismet.
Researched by Flora Eagleson, May 1992.
Joseph Little came on the first C.P.R. train to Calgary in 1883. He did some prospecting, locating coal at Blairmore in 1897 and was there until 1924. He also ran the first railway train into Lethbridge on the privately owned railroad in 1890. Little was born at Grimsby, Ontario in 1852 and married Mary Durkin of Great Falls, Montana in 1894. She died in 1897.
Livingston, Sam Henry Harkwood
Born in the Vale of Avoca, Ireland in 1831, Sam Livingston died in Calgary in 1897. He married Jane Howse, daughter of Joseph Howse; Jane was born in 1848 at Red River Settlement and died in 1919 in Calgary. Sam arrived in Wisconsin in 1847 and travelled to the California Gold Rush, visited New Mexico, and then travelled to Montana in 1859. He went to the Cariboo Gold Rush by way of Pincher Creek and the Crowsnest Pass. He returned to Alberta through the Kicking Horse Pass in 1864, travelling with a group of prospectors who later disbanded. Sam married Jane Howse at Fort Victoria in 1865; they came to Southern Alberta with the Rev. John McDougall's wagon train of twenty-nine wagons in 1872. Sam and Jane established the Livingston Trading Post on the Elbow River, then moved to the junction of the Bow and Elbow Rivers. When the NWMP arrived he agreed to move up the Elbow to the present site of Heritage Park. Sam supplied the NWMP post with meat and vegetables from his land which was on the site of the present Glenmore Lake. There Sam and Jane reared their family of fourteen children.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
Livingstone, E. Archibald
Mr. Livingstone was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1889.
Lloyd, Albert Kingsley
Albert Lloyd came to Calgary in the early 1880's. He farmed at Langdon and later moved to the Forest Lawn area. He drilled many wells throughout the area. He was born in Ontario in 1864 and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1943. He was married to Mary Jane McDougall, who was born in 1873 at Meaford, Ontario and died at Calgary in 1967. They had five children.
Lloyd, Benjamin Simmonds
The Lloyds' settled in the vicinity of Red Deer Lake in 1884. The Shaw family and the Lloyds' made the journey together. The ranch was called "Sleighford" and was located SE 1/4 24-22-2-W5th. Benjamin was born in England in 1849 and died at Calgary in 1941. He was married in England in 1879 to Jane Eld, who was born there in 1857 and died at Calgary in 1941. There were eight children: Harry, Gertrude, Ralph, Edric, Hermoine, Ronald, Beatrice and Joe.
Lloyd, George Hartley
George Lloyd homesteaded in the Cheadle area in 1887 and in 1894 moved to the Langdon district and then in 1906 moved to Strathmore. He established a general store and the King's Hotel in 1908. He was a member of the first council in 1908. George Lloyd was born at Meaford, Ontario and died in 1960. In 1887 he was married to Mary Whitney. They had six children. A sister of Mrs. Lloyd's married Roy Cowan and another sister married Lachlin McKinnon.
Lloyd, James H.
James Lloyd came to Cheadle in 1889. He was born at Meaford, Ontario in 1881 and died at Calgary in 1960. He was a brother of Lloyd, George Hartley.
Richard and his wife Rose arrived in Midnapore in 1883 and homesteaded the NE 1/4 of Sec.24-22-2-W5M. The Lloyds had no children and in 1924 they returned to England where they lived for the rest of their lives.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Sodbusting to Subdivision, De Winton & Districts.
Lloyd, Stephen S.
Stephen Lloyd was recorded as a member of the Calgary Odd Fellows Lodge in 1886.
Locke, Rev. Frederick William
Rev. Locke came to Calgary in 1886. He spent forty years in the ministry of the Methodist and United Churches. He was born at Norfolk, England in 1865 and died at Calgary in 1944. In 1893 he married Mary S. Trimble, who was born at Ontario in 1871 and died at Calgary in 1951. They had two children.
The Limestone Plant at Kananaskis was opened and operated by Edwin Loder in 1888, and he managed it until his death in 1935. Edwin Loder was born at Manchester, England in 1863 and died at Calgary in 1935. He was married at Morley to Ella May Blakley, who was born in 1869 at North Dakota, U.S.A. and died at Calgary in 1938. They had one son, Walter.
Morgan Long helped William Huddleston on a cattle drive to Waldrond ranch in 1883. He returned to the Pincher Creek area that same year with his own cattle and established a ranch on Pincher Creek River.
2004 Addendum. Ref: A History of the Early Days of Pincher Creek, p. 40 and Prairie Grass to Mountain Pass, p. 102.
Harry Longbaugh, a quiet boy of medium build known as the Sundance Kid in Wyoming, came to Alberta about 1890. He worked with the McHughs, broke horses for railroad contractors, worked at the Bar-U ranch and then formed a partnership with Frank Hamilton who owned a saloon. When it came time to settle their account Hamilton didn't get a chance to renege on payment as Harry jumped over the saloon bar, held a gun to Hamilton's head and demanded payment. With the cash payment in hand he returned to the USA and joined Butch Cassidy and Kid Currie.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves from the Medicine Tree p. 259.
Longpré, Joseph R.
Joseph Longpré came to the Laggan (Lake Louise) area in 1887. He was born at St. Jerome, Quebec in 1878 and died at Calgary in 1950. He was married to Mable Anna Eide in 1903 at Calgary, Alberta. She was born in 1883 at Eau Claire, Wisconsin, U.S.A. and died at Calgary in 1963. They had four children in their family.
Mr. Louden was elected as a representative for the District of Calgary in 1885.
2004 Addendum. Ref: 1885 Election Report.
Lougheed, Sir James A.
Sir James Lougheed was born in 1854 in Brampton, Ontario and died in 1925 in Ottawa. He married Isabella Clarke Hardisty who was born in 1860 at Fort Resolution, NWT and died in 1936 in Calgary. They were married in 1882, and had a family of six children. Sir James Lougheed was one of Calgary's first lawyers, in 1882. He was land agent for the CPR, a major developer of Calgary's downtown commercial district, and a director of the Canada Life Assurance Company. A senator for 36 years, he served as Minister without Portfolio and as Minister of the Interior. In 1917 he was knighted by King George V, the only Albertan in history to be so honoured.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography - Lougheed, Sir James Alexander
Dictionary of Canadian Biography - Hardisty, Isabella Clark (Lady Lougheed)
Lowndes, John M.
John Lowndes arrived in Calgary in 1889.
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: James L. Calvin.
Charles Lowrie and his father squatted on land north of Pine Coulee in the High River area around 1885. They had a small herd of cattle branded RL. Charles' father was a stone mason who stoned up several wells and foundations in the district between Mosquito Creek and the Leavings. When his father died in 1888 Charles sold his holdings and left the district.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Leaves From the Medicine Tree, p. 457.
John Lowry came to Calgary before the Railroad and squatted on the river flat just west of Shaganappi Point in 1882. The Indians had camped there in the early days. John started a market garden and supplied residents of Calgary with fresh produce. He eventually acquired title to the river flat, most of his land was on the benchland above the river. The C.P.R. roadway was built through his land and he was allowed a narrow roadway along the tracks. He had a small greenhouse and his business prospered, known as Lowry Gardens. John was born at Devon, England and died in 1900. Alter John's death, his heirs came from England and operated the gardens for a time, then sold the land and returned to England. John did not marry.
To assist the NW Coal & Navigation Co. in the development of the coal seams in the Coal Banks area in late 1882, Sir Alexander Galt and his son Elliott Torrance had William Lowther and Walter King set up a sawmill in the Porcupine Hills. The sawmill produced lumber for underground supports, office and living dwellings at the mine site. With the mine in operation Lowther and King were then employed to build a stern wheeler to ship coal down the Oldman river to the CPR at Medicine Hat.
2004 Addendum. Ref: Nineteenth Century Lethbridge, p. 22.
Lucas, Eastman and Wallis set up a partnership in the Porcupine Hills in 1886 and ran four hundred head of cattle, only to be wiped out in a blizzard.
Alexander was born in 1851 in Lambton County, Ontario and died at Vancouver, B.C. in 1942. In 1878 at Alviston, Ontario he married Jane Frances Tanner, who was born in Lambton County in 1855 and died at Vancouver in 1920. There were three children in the family. Lucas was mayor and president of the Board of Trade of Calgary in 1892-1893.
Lucas, Samuel Brigham
Samuel Lucas came from Aylmer, PQ to the Calgary area in 1879.
Dictionary of Canadian Biography
2004 Addendum. Ref: SAPD membership application files, Re: Gwendolyn Amelia Johnson.
Lunn, John T.
Mr. Lunn homesteaded one mile east of No.14 siding Gleichen in 1883. Mr. Lunn was chairman of the first school in Gleichen in 1897. The small one room school was built from logs which were floated down the river. The school was later converted to a home.
In 1879, Tom located on the the north side of the Highwood River. In 1884 he moved to the High River Crossing and trailed horses and cattle. In 1887 he moved to Sullivan Creek and established his "TL" Ranch. Tom was born in 1843 in Missouri, U.S.A. and died in 1891. Alter Tom's death, Mrs. Lynch sold the ranch to Schmidt.
Lynch-Staunton, Alfred Hardwick
Alfred Hardwick Lynch-Staunton came to Fort Macleod in 1877 as part of a NWMP detachment. He was born in 1860 at Hamilton, Ontario. In 1878, he and eight others were assigned to establish a remount station (horse-breeding ranch) at Pincher Creek. After his retirement in 1880, he started the first ranch in the Pincher Creek area with James Bruneau and Isaac May. In 1885, he signed up as a Trooper in the Pincher Creek Home Guard (Number 3 Troop) of the Rocky Mountain Rangers. For a number of years he was in partnership with his brother Richard, cattle raising. He married Sarah Mary Blake in 1890 at the Deer Horn Ranch, North Fork, N.W.T. Sarah was born in 1863 at Galway, Ireland. They had six children (Miriam, Victoria Georgina, Frances Mary Franda, Francis Corbett, John Charles, Alfred D'Arcy). The couple ranched for a number of years on the north fork of the Old Man River, then moved to a ranch two miles west of Pincher Creek where they remained until their retirement in 1930. Mrs. Lynch-Staunton was a talented painter. Alfred was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, Fort Macleod No. 3, which was instituted before 1890. Alfred died in 1932 and Sarah died in 1933, both at Pincher Creek.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Additional research by JFR.
Richard Lynch-Staunton came to Pincher Creek in 1885. He was born in 1867 at Dundas, Ontario and died in 1961 at Pincher Creek. He married Isabel Mary Wilson in 1901 at Livingston. She was born in 1868 at Tipperary, Ireland and died in 1971. They had two children. Richard came to Medicine Hat with the Dominion Land Survey and then moved to Pincher Creek. He ranched for a while with his brother, Alfred then he moved twelve miles north of Lundbreck and founded the "Antelope Ranch", buying the Lee 41 Brand, one of the oldest in the Province.
Lyndon, Captain Charles Augustus
Captain Lyndon served for twenty-four years in the British Navy. Following the Crimean War he retired and emigrated to Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A. In 1881 he purchased horses and cattle and came north with his wife and son William aged 8. Charles Lyndon came to Trout Creek in the Porcupine Hills in 1881 and established the "Circle L" Ranch. Supplies had to be obtained from Fort Benton, a thirty day trip. The Lyndon Post Office was built in 1893 at the ranch - it later became a community centre. In 1893 a dam was constructed on Lyndon Creek and an irrigation system was installed. Charles acquired more land and had one hundred and thirty acres under irrigation. He was born in 1838 at Dublin, Ireland and died in 1904 at Calgary. In 1873 at Salem, Oregon he was married to Margaret Hallock, who was born at Louisville, Kentucky and died at Calgary in 1911. They had one son, William.
Merged with 2004 Addendum. Ref: Leavings by Trail - Granum by Rail.